Subject: Gratifyingly, unlike many recent articles following the suspension of a certain sports figure, it is positive and realistic in tone.

From: Levine <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:10:04 +0200

Quotable quote from the NIA: "Wait for research that demonstrates this
is safe and effective. We shall see where it all goes; I will be keeping
you fine folks updated as things progress. htmAubrey de Grey, an aging
researcher of note associated with the IABG, put together these notes in
response to being asked about the cost of a cure for aging.

This raises some interesting questions in connection with common
age-related conditions that involve persistant inflammation. Very
intriguing, and I'm sure some of my readers have their own theories on
this already. They are still trying hard, however, and a lack of real,
meaningful arguments is no protection against foolish legislation. They
will be accepting donations at all levels to help swell the prize
fund.

This attitude doesn't render me any less capable than the author of this
article when fighting effectively for healthy life extension and the
medicine of the future. Many of the beneficial effects of CR stem from
dietary changes necessary to eat fewer calories without becoming
hungry.

This is an unfortunate trap, to say the least! Aging Mental Decline
Reversible?

htmlIt looks like a drug used to treat diabetes has been found to mimic
the healthy life extension effects of calorie restriction in mice. "
This is a small step when seen as a part of the big anti-aging research
picture, but an important one.

Osteoporosis is high up on the list of long-term worries for healthy
life extensionists, alongside degenerative conditions like Alzheimer's.
Nothing new is said; the sides are worlds apart.

Most customers won't even let you try to explain: they hear "life
extension," draw their own conclusions and walk away.

This is fascinating stuff. This sort of success story bears
watching.

As the medicine becomes available to keep us healthy and physically
younger, we have to worry about encountering these aging conditions.
cfmYou can also find previous issues of this newsletter there. It is
good to see more projects like this one launching place around the
world.

Listen to your physician, and research, research, research.

Voice of America reports on researchers who have turned up an
age-regulating gene in yeast.

Contact your representatives today.

I hope very much that they do not get this endorsement.

It's amazing that anyone in this modern world could hold such views,
much less become chairman of a bioethics council advising US government
policy. Acting together, we can all help to ensure that the medicine of
the near future will help us lead far, far longer, healthier, more
active lives.

Great minds and all that.

Just look at where nanotechnology is now! It would greatly simplify
matters, and remove all legislative obstacles to vital stem cell
research. It's worth noting that the Okinawan diet isn't anything
special.

You'll excuse me while I wander from the topic of healthy life extension
for a few paragraphs in order to make my point.

htmlYahoo News reports on promising early studies in regenerative
medicine by StemCells, Inc.

cfmA much better feature article is up this week at SAGE Crossroads.
This time it's cancer: being overweight means that you have a
significantly higher chance of dying of cancer. phpSome interesting
basic research on mechanisms of degenerative diseases is reported at
EurekAlert. 8 years of hectic, breakneck aviation development passed
before a certain Charles Lindbergh made that flight.