Subject: [SPKM] SPKM BOF summary from IETF 67

From: Jeffrey Hutzelman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 14:24:23 -0500 (EST)

What follows is a short summary of the SPKM BOF that was held this Monday.

Presentations are on the IETF web site:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=67#wg-spkm

Full minutes will be uploaded to that site and posted to the [email-masked]
mailing list in the near future.

-- Jeff

SPKM BOF - IETF 67 meeting summary

We held a BOF on the topic of building a lightweight public-key-based
GSS-API mechanism, motivated in large part by a need for such a mechanism
for NFSv4.  We began with a problem statement presentation, which was
followed by presentations on proposals for four approaches to solutions:

* Updating SPKM3
* PKU2U -- user-to-user auth based on PKINIT and GSS-krb5
* GSS-TLS -- a mechanism built on TLS and/or DTLS
* SSiLKey -- use HTTPS to obtain a token used in GSS context establishment

Polls indicated there was sufficient interest in this work and enough
people willing to work on it; however, it was not clear whether formation
of a working group was actually necessary to proceed.

The sense of the room seemed to be that leaving the choice of solution up
to the proposed WG would be counter-productive, and that any WG formed
should be constrained to a particular solution.  This led to a discussion
about the relative merits of the solutions proposed.  The conclusion was
that selection of a particlar proposal was not possible in the short time
remaining in the BOF session.

As a next step, Sam will form an AD-sponsored design team to evaluate the
proposals and select one.  This group will include one of the authors of
of each of the four proposals, and possibly a small number of others.  A
poll of the room indicated that the output of such a design team would
likely be acceptable to the group.

_______________________________________________
SPKM mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/spkm