Subject: [splices] Fwd: Progressing the INVOKE-related work

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:41:16 -0400

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Progressing the INVOKE-related work
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:35:38 -0400
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]

Folks,

as you know, the following draft has lately been discussed in the
SPLICES and RAI area mailing lists:

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-yusef-splices-invoke/

>From all the discussions, there seems to be interest in working on a
call/device control mechanism. In order to do that, we need to clearly
define the scope of such an effort (i.e., which types of primitives
would be in scope and which ones wouldn't).

In addition to defining the scope, there are open issues related to how
to model the mechanism (i.e., using SIP directly vs. using SIP to
establish a control channel). They will need to be resolved at some
point as well.

As some people have pointed out, the charter of SPLICES excludes working
on such a mechanism. Therefore, the next step is to have DISPATCH work
on a charter proposal for this effort. Nevertheless, we want to take
advantage of the current momentum behind this effort. So, this topic
will be discussed in SPLICES, as planned, during the IETF.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

---

From: Simon Pietro Romano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 01:05:19 +0200

Dear Gonzalo and all,

my *individual* opinion is that we might simply re-charter SPLICES in 
order to allow it to proceed with the (finally) proficuous work we are 
doing. What's the alternative? We might just close SPLICES as soon as 
we're done with the framework  (aka "use-cases") document and 
immediately thereafter go to DISPATCH and ask for the creation of 
SPLICES-2 as the right venue where to carry out the INVOKE-related work.

My 2 cents,

Simon

Il 25/07/2011 23:41, Gonzalo Camarillo ha scritto:
> From: Gonzalo Camarillo<[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
>
> Folks,
>
> _______________________________________________
> splices mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/splices
>

-- 
                             _\\|//_
                             ( O-O )
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                     Simon Pietro Romano
               Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                  Computer Science Department
         Phone: +39 081 7683823 -- Fax: +39 081 7684219
                 e-mail: [email-masked]
           http://www.comics.unina.it/simonpietro.romano

     <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                          oooO
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(   )~~ Oooo~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                           \ (    (   )
                            \_)    ) /
                                  (_/

---

From: Gonzalo Camarillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 21:52:25 -0400

Hi Simon Pietro,

yes, that is one of the first options we considered. However, while this
work will need to take into consideration all the requirements derived
from the SPLICES use cases, its scope seems to be somewhat wider. For
example, there have been discussions about PBXs needing an INVOKE-like
mechanism but not using disaggregated media.

Cheers,

Gonzalo