Subject: [stir] FW: New Version Notification for draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-01.txt

From: "Peterson, Jon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2013 20:21:51 +0000

We did iterate the secure origins problem statement draft in advance of
the meeting. Aside from some minor edits, the change here is mostly the
addition of some text towards a threat model.

Jon Peterson
Neustar, Inc.

On 7/15/13 11:09 AM, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
wrote:

>
>A new version of I-D, draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-01.txt
>has been successfully submitted by Jon Peterson and posted to the
>IETF repository.
>
>Filename:	 draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps
>Revision:	 01
>Title:		 Secure Origin Identification: Problem Statement, Threat Model,
>Requirements, and Roadmap
>Creation date:	 2013-07-15
>Group:		 Individual Submission
>Number of pages: 28
>URL:             
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-01.txt
>Status:          
>http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps
>Htmlized:        
>http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-01
>Diff:            
>http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-peterson-secure-origin-ps-01
>
>Abstract:
>   Over the past decade, SIP has become a major signaling protocol for
>   voice communications, one which has replaced many traditional
>   telephony deployments.  However, interworking SIP with the
>   traditional telephone network has ultimately reduced the security of
>   Caller ID systems.  Given the widespread interworking of SIP with the
>   telephone network, the lack of effective standards for identifying
>   the calling party in a SIP session has granted attackers new powers
>   as they impersonate or obscure calling party numbers when
>   orchestrating bulk commercial calling schemes, hacking voicemail
>   boxes or even circumventing multi-factor authentication systems
>   trusted by banks.  This document therefore examines the reasons why
>   providing identity for telephone numbers on the Internet has proven
>   so difficult, and shows how changes in the last decade may provide us
>   with new strategies for attaching a secure identity to SIP sessions.
>
>                  
>        
>
>
>The IETF Secretariat
>