Subject: [stir] On the issue of next steps.

From: "Richard Shockey" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 18:45:48 -0500

In the end of the meeting the chairs asked the question of whether the
4474bis document should be adopted as WG item and, with some trepidation, I
think it should. 

We have to know what goes on the wire.  I hope this does not end up being a
one sided discussion.  

4474bis is  the core document.

I'm hesitant to suggest the WG go too much further into the PKI here until
we understand the implications of NRA views and costs.  Even in the case of
SIDR you had to understand these issues as part of the design process. 

As an "expert body" I think we can/maybe/should recommend TN level certs at
some point in time. I'm open minded here.  There might be some real
innovation we could enable here if we look beyond simple Number block level
delegation. 

That said I still have zero confidence in enabling this in CUA's before we
can do it within carrier networks first. Get someone at Apple or Google in
the room and I might be convinced. 

And the Out of Band solution is a nonstarter.  

Just saying!  

Richard Shockey
Shockey Consulting LLC 

http://www.shockey.us
Chairman of the Board of Directors SIP Forum
PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683
< <mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> mailto:richard(at)shockey.us>
skype-linkedin-facebook: rshockey101
http://www.sipforum.org

"Money is the answer, what is the question?" tm