Subject: [stir] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 12:11:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Secure Telephone Identity Problem Statement and Requirements
        Authors         : Jon Peterson
                          Henning Schulzrinne
                          Hannes Tschofenig
	Filename        : draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2014-05-09

Abstract:
   Over the past decade, Voice over IP (VoIP) systems based on SIP have
   replaced many traditional telephony deployments.  Interworking VoIP
   systems with the traditional telephone network has reduced the
   overall security of calling party number and Caller ID assurances by
   granting attackers new and inexpensive tools to impersonate or
   obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
   calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes or even circumventing multi-
   factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  Despite previous
   attempts to provide a secure assurance of the origin of SIP
   communications, we still lack of effective standards for identifying
   the calling party in a VoIP session.  This document examines the
   reasons why providing identity for telephone numbers on the Internet
   has proven so difficult, and shows how changes in the last decade may
   provide us with new strategies for attaching a secure identity to SIP
   sessions.  It also gives high-level requirements for a solution in
   this space.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/