Subject: [stir] Document Action: 'Secure Telephone Identity Problem Statement and Requirements' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 06:10:00 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Secure Telephone Identity Problem Statement and Requirements'
  (draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement-05.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Richard Barnes and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stir-problem-statement/

Technical Summary

   Over the past decade, Voice over IP (VoIP) systems based on SIP have
   replaced many traditional telephony deployments.  Interworking VoIP
   systems with the traditional telephone network has reduced the
   overall security of calling party number and Caller ID assurances by
   granting attackers new and inexpensive tools to impersonate or
   obscure calling party numbers when orchestrating bulk commercial
   calling schemes, hacking voicemail boxes or even circumventing multi-
   factor authentication systems trusted by banks.  Despite previous
   attempts to provide a secure assurance of the origin of SIP
   communications, we still lack of effective standards for identifying
   the calling party in a VoIP session.  This document examines the
   reasons why providing identity for telephone numbers on the Internet
   has proven so difficult, and shows how changes in the last decade may
   provide us with new strategies for attaching a secure identity to SIP
   sessions.

Working Group Summary

  This document is a product of the STIR working group. 

Document Quality

  This document and its predecessors received significant review
  from during the working group formation stages to its current form.
  There is solid consensus that it reflects the problem the working
  group intends to address.

Personnel

  Robert Sparks is the document shepherd. 
  Richard Barnes is the Responsible AD.