Subject: [stir] RFC 8224 on Authenticated Identity Management in the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 17:33:59 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 8224

        Title:      Authenticated Identity Management in the 
                    Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) 
        Author:     J. Peterson, 
                    C. Jennings,
                    E. Rescorla, 
                    C. Wendt
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       February 2018
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],  
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      46
        Characters: 118924
        Obsoletes:  RFC 4474

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-stir-rfc4474bis-16.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc8224

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC8224

The baseline security mechanisms in the Session Initiation Protocol
(SIP) are inadequate for cryptographically assuring the identity of
the end users that originate SIP requests, especially in an
interdomain context.  This document defines a mechanism for securely
identifying originators of SIP requests.  It does so by defining a
SIP header field for conveying a signature used for validating the
identity and for conveying a reference to the credentials of the
signer.

This document obsoletes RFC 4474.

This document is a product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC