Subject: [stir] RFC 9118 on Enhanced JSON Web Token (JWT) Claim Constraints for Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) Certificates

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2021 22:51:56 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9118

        Title:      Enhanced JSON Web Token (JWT) Claim Constraints
                    for Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR)
                    Certificates
        Author:     R. Housley
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       August 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      12
        Updates:    RFC 8226

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-stir-enhance-rfc8226-05.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9118

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9118

RFC 8226 specifies the use of certificates for Secure Telephone
Identity Credentials; these certificates are often called "Secure
Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) Certificates". RFC 8226 provides
a certificate extension to constrain the JSON Web Token (JWT) claims
that can be included in the Personal Assertion Token (PASSporT), as
defined in RFC 8225.  If the PASSporT signer includes a JWT claim
outside the constraint boundaries, then the PASSporT recipient will
reject the entire PASSporT. This document updates RFC 8226; it
provides all of the capabilities available in the original
certificate extension as well as an additional way to constrain the
allowable JWT claims.  The enhanced extension can also provide a list
of claims that are not allowed to be included in the PASSporT.

This document is a product of the Secure Telephone Identity Revisited Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC