Subject: [Stox] Protocol Action: 'Interworking between the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): One-to-One Text Chat Sessions' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-stox-chat-11.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2015 11:22:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Interworking between the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the
   Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): One-to-One Text
   Chat Sessions'
  (draft-ietf-stox-chat-11.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the SIP-TO-XMPP Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Ben Campbell and Alissa Cooper.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stox-chat/

Technical Summary

 Relevant content can frequently be found in the abstract 
 and/or introduction of the document. If not, this may be 
 an indication that there are deficiencies in the abstract 
 or introduction.

This document defines a bidirectional protocol mapping for the exchange of instant 
messages in the context of a one-to-one chat session between a user of the Session 
Initiation Protocol (SIP) and a user of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol 
(XMPP). Specifically for SIP text chat, this document specifies a mapping to the Message 
Session Relay Protocol (MSRP).

Working Group Summary

 Was there anything in WG process that is worth noting? For 
 example, was there controversy about particular points or 
 were there decisions where the consensus was particularly 
 rough?

This document has been initially reviewed in the DISPATCH WG as per the RAI area 
process for new work. The STOX WG has been chartered as a result of the submission of 
this and other documents that aim to define specifications for interworking between the 
Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol 
(XMPP) based systems. This document has been subjected to a number of reviews 
initially in the DISPATCH WG and in the STOX WG after its creation. A number of 
thorough reviews have also been made in the last few months and the document has 
been updated to address all raised issues and concerns. There were no controversial 
points regarding it.

Document Quality

 Are there existing implementations of the protocol? Have a 
 significant number of vendors indicated their plan to 
 implement the specification? Are there any reviewers that 
 merit special mention as having done a thorough review, 
 e.g., one that resulted in important changes or a 
 conclusion that the document had no substantive issues? If 
 there was a MIB Doctor, Media Type or other expert review, 
 what was its course (briefly)? In the case of a Media Type 
 review, on what date was the request posted?

There are already several vendors having full or partial implementations of the 
specification, among which Jabber/Cisco, Kamailio (OpenSER), AG Projects (Silk Server). 
Some of the people behind these implementations have actively participated in the 
discussions in the WG.

Personnel

 Who is the Document Shepherd? Who is the Responsible Area
 Director?

Yana Stamcheva is the document shepherd. The responsible area director is Alissa 
Cooper.