Subject: [Stox] I-D Action: draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 19:28:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the SIP-TO-XMPP of the IETF.

        Title           : Interworking between the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP): Presence
        Author          : Peter Saint-Andre
	Filename        : draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-13.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2016-10-09

Abstract:
   This document defines a bidirectional protocol mapping for the
   exchange of presence information between the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) and the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol
   (XMPP).  This document obsoletes RFC 7248.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-stox-7248bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-stox-7248bis-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 20:33:12 -0600

Added an appendix describing the changes from RFC 7248, pasted below for 
convenience.

###

Appendix A.  Changes from RFC 7248

    RFC 7248 had already been published when the STOX WG discovered that
    a related document (since published as [RFC7702]) contained problems
    that also applied to RFC 7248.  Specifically, the diagrams and
    protocol flows in RFC 7248 contained errors that reflected an
    incorrect architecture with gateways on both sides of the protocol
    exchange; in theory and in practice, presence traffic from an XMPP
    system would be translated by an XMPP-to-SIMPLE gateway on the XMPP
    side and received by a normal SIP/SIMPLE system directly (without a
    receiving gateway on the SIP/SIMPLE side), and traffic from a SIP
    system would be translated by a SIMPLE-to-XMPP gateway on the SIP
    side and received by a normal XMPP system (without a receiving
    gateway on the XMPP side).

    Therefore, this document makes the following substantive changes from
    RFC 7248:

    o  Corrects the architectural assumptions, diagrams, and protocol
       flows to reflect a single-gateway model in each direction.

    o  Adjusts terminology to replace the term "SIP Server" with the term
       "SIP Proxy" or "SIP resence Server" as appropriate, to use the
       term "notification dialog" for a SIP subscription and the term
       "presence authorization" for an XMPP subscription instead of the
       generic term "subscription" in both contexts, etc.

    o  Clarifies that SIP notification dialogs are used to handle
       presence authorizations in SIP (e.g., there is no dedicated way to
       signal outbound cancellation of an authorization as there is in
       XMPP).

    o  Clarifies the use of the 'presence.winfo' event package, of the
       Subscription-State headers (specifically with values of "pending",
       "active", "closed", or "terminated"), of NOTIFY messages with no
       body, etc.

    o  Clarifies the durations of notification dialogs and presence
       authorizations, and how they are extended in SIP and handled in
       XMPP.

    o  Removes the mapping of the XMPP 'id' attribute to the SIP "CSeq"
       header.

    o  Describes the handling of multiple connected resources in XMPP.

    o  Provides information about mitigations for leaks of presence
       information.

###

On 10/9/16 8:28 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> stox mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/stox
>

---

From: Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:12:55 +0200

LGTM!

> On 10 Oct 2016, at 04:33, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Added an appendix describing the changes from RFC 7248, pasted below for convenience.
> 
> ###
> 

--
Saúl Ibarra Corretgé
AG Projects

---

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 12:21:05 +0100

> On 13 Oct 2016, at 11:12, Saúl Ibarra Corretgé <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> LGTM!
> 
I would like to contribute a “p” in front of “resence”

/O