Subject: [straw] RFC 7584 on Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Message Handling for SIP Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 15:39:00 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7584

        Title:      Session Traversal Utilities for NAT 
                    (STUN) Message Handling for SIP Back-to-Back 
                    User Agents (B2BUAs) 
        Author:     R. Ravindranath, T. Reddy, G. Salgueiro
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       July 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      14
        Characters: 32675
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-straw-b2bua-stun-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7584

        DOI:        http://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC7584

Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Back-to-Back User Agents (B2BUAs)
are often designed to be on the media path rather than just
intercepting signaling.  This means that B2BUAs often act on the
media path leading to separate media legs that the B2BUA correlates
and bridges together.  When acting on the media path, B2BUAs are
likely to receive Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) packets
as part of Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE) processing.

This document defines behavior for a B2BUA performing ICE processing.
The goal of this document is to ensure that B2BUAs properly handle
SIP messages that carry ICE semantics in Session Description Protocol
(SDP) and STUN messages received as part of the ICE procedures for
NAT and Firewall traversal of multimedia sessions.

This document is a product of the Sip Traversal Required for Applications to Work Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC