Subject: [Supa] MINOR charter revision proposal

From: John Strassner <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 May 2015 10:54:59 -0700

Hi,

I liked Juergen's revised charter. In the attached version, I changed
"generic policy" to "management policy" and moved the definition
of "management policy" in front of "embedded policy". I made some
other very minor edits.

Juergen, could you kindly upload this version to your web site?

I am fine with using another version as well.

-- 
regards,
John

---

From: "Scott O. Bradner" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 21:28:03 -0400

some suggestions and a question

suggestion to replace the 1st two paragraphs of John’s latest draft charter
(I do not think the traffic amounts are a SUPA issue & I’ve tries to clarify the intent somewhat

The rapid growth in the variety and importance of traffic flowing over
increasingly complex enterprise and service provider network architectures
makes the task of network operations and management applications and
deploying new services much more difficult.  Two possible mechanisms for
dealing with this growing difficulty are the use of software abstractions
to simplify the design and configuration of monitoring and control
operations and the use of programmatic control over the configuration and
operation of such networks.

SUPA (Simplified Use of Policy Abstractions) will define a generic policy
information model (GPIM) for use in network operations and management
applications. The GPIM can represent different types of policy rules for
controlling managed entities throughout the service development and
deployment lifecycle. The GPIM will be mapped into corresponding YANG data
models to define interoperable implementations that can exchange and
modify generic policies using protocols such as NETCONF/RESTCONF.

the question is in regard ti rte. this paragraph
SUPA focuses on the interface north of the controller (or similar
management entity) and south of the service manager. SUPA defines
management policies that control the configuration of network
elements. Management policies can be interpreted outside of
network elements, and the interpretation typically results in
configuration changes of collections of network elements.

if SUPA is dealing with policy abstractions how can it be that
"SUPA focuses on the interface north of the controller (or similar
management entity) and south of the service manager.:”

Scott