Subject: [T2TRG] DNPSec Protocol Development

From: Sankalp Bagaria <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 17:36:18 +0530

Hello,

DNP3 (Distributed Network Protocol) is a SCADA non-proprietary protocol
that is used in electric, oil and gas, and wastewater/ water utilities.
Security was not considered when it was developed.
https://www.hackers-arise.com/single-post/2017/02/10/SCADA-Hacking-SCADA-Prortocols-DNP3
It can thus be hacked.

Subequently, DNPSec was proposed.
https://www.acsac.org/2005/techblitz/majdalawieh.pdf but it is yet to gain
popularity. Is someone working on it? Do you think this is a project that
can be taken up ? Will IRTF/ IETF community be interested if I invest time
on it ?

Please advise.

Thanks and Regards,
Sankalp Bagaria,
Senior Technical Officer,
Centre for Development of Advanced Computing,
Bangalore, India.

---

From: Russ Housley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2017 09:49:50 -0400

After a very quick skim of the paper, I cannot see why a new security protocol is needed.  Can you explain why IPsec encryption of the TPDU is not a reasonable approach?

Russ

> On Jul 6, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Sankalp Bagaria <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> DNP3 (Distributed Network Protocol) is a SCADA non-proprietary protocol that is used in electric, oil and gas, and wastewater/ water utilities. Security was not considered when it was developed. https://www.hackers-arise.com/single-post/2017/02/10/SCADA-Hacking-SCADA-Prortocols-DNP3 <https://www.hackers-arise.com/single-post/2017/02/10/SCADA-Hacking-SCADA-Prortocols-DNP3>
> It can thus be hacked.
> 
> Subequently, DNPSec was proposed. https://www.acsac.org/2005/techblitz/majdalawieh.pdf <https://www.acsac.org/2005/techblitz/majdalawieh.pdf> but it is yet to gain popularity. Is someone working on it? Do you think this is a project that can be taken up ? Will IRTF/ IETF community be interested if I invest time on it ?
> 
> Please advise.
> 
> Thanks and Regards,
> Sankalp Bagaria,