Subject: [T2TRG] Inter-network Coexistence in the Internet of Things

From: L M Feeney <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 17:24:00 +0100

Dear all,

The  document "Inter-network Coexistence in the Internet of Things" 
describes key challenges for coexistence for _administratively 
independent_ IoT networks sharing unlicensed spectrum.

Recent research results (our own and others) demonstrate the impact of 
protocol-level interactions on network performance.  A better 
understanding of these issues is needed to ensure successful deployment 
of IoT applications.

The document identifies two opportunities for the IRTF T2TRG community. 
The first is to define best practices for performance evaluation and 
protocol design in the context of network coexistence.  The second is to 
investigate the use of higher layer protocols to actively participate in 
managing network coexistence.

Version -01  (2017/10/30) is available at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-01
Comments are most welcome.

If there is interest in further discussions, I will plan to be at the 
London meeting next month.

Regards,
Laura

---
Laura Marie Feeney
Division of Computer Systems
Uppsala University

---

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 08:49:52 -0800

Thanks, I found that to be a useful summary of the issues and to have some
good pointers.   I'd like to add one potential work item, though, before
"define best practices for performance evaluation":  "describe what a
useful lab setup would look like".  Looking back at our own experience at
building a lab, it strike me that we have many of the elements you describe
but lack one:  we have multiple, heterogeneous networks in a variety of
topologies, but we also have a single higher-order administration.  So we
may actually be scheduling away some of the real-world implications by
parceling out project activity in the lab.

Thoughts on how to avoid that from the group would make a good addition
(either to your doc or to the best practices doc).

regards,

Ted

On Wed, Feb 28, 2018 at 8:24 AM, L M Feeney <[email-masked]>
wrote:

> describes key challenges for coexistence for _administratively independent_
> IoT networks sharing unlicensed spectrum.
>
> protocol-level interactions on network performance.  A better understanding
> of these issues is needed to ensure successful deployment of IoT
> applications.
>
> _______________________________________________
> T2TRG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg
>