Subject: [T2TRG] Identifying Local Devices

From: Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2018 14:35:39 -0800

T2TRG folks--
  Hi.  I have been lurking on this list for a while, keeping quiet as I
haven't been able to attend an IETF meeting since 2013.

  I am trying to create a world where all devices keep track of their own
energy use and report this to the local network.  See: ereporting.lbl.gov -
and yes, this is derivative of EMAN.
  My model is to only have devices report within the building/LAN that they
are part of - that any reporting outside (to the cloud, etc.) would be for
the central management system to regulate.  Of course many devices will and
today do external reporting, but I would like to have a mechanism to
clearly distinguish that from just local reporting, so that default
behavior can be just local. This for privacy and security reasons.
  If you are on the same subnet, then just address inspection works, but
for both a typical residential context (both Ethernet and Wi-Fi so at least
two subnets) and a commercial context (maybe many) are there ways for an
end-use device to determine if a querying management system device is on
the local LAN or not.
  Does common NAT and/or firewall behavior help here?
  To be clear, this is for the individual device to decide whether or not
to respond to a request from another device that it has no functional
relationship with.
  Advice most welcome.  Thanks,
--Bruce

-- 
*Bruce Nordman*
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
*nordman.lbl.gov <http://nordman.lbl.gov>*
[email-masked]
510-486-7089
m: 510-501-7943

---

From: "Eliot Lear (elear)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 09:43:29 +0000

Hi Bruce,

Not sure about giving advice, but I am interested in the problem.  Schneider and friends already do smart panels.  Cisco assuredly has this information for PoE.  It would be possible to combine that with something like MUD to determine device type.  Hasn’t been done yet but certainly could be.

Eliot

> On 20 Nov 2018, at 23:35, Bruce Nordman <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> T2TRG folks--
>   Hi.  I have been lurking on this list for a while, keeping quiet as I haven't been able to attend an IETF meeting since 2013.
> 
>   I am trying to create a world where all devices keep track of their own energy use and report this to the local network.  See: ereporting.lbl.gov <http://ereporting.lbl.gov/> - and yes, this is derivative of EMAN.
>   My model is to only have devices report within the building/LAN that they are part of - that any reporting outside (to the cloud, etc.) would be for the central management system to regulate.  Of course many devices will and today do external reporting, but I would like to have a mechanism to clearly distinguish that from just local reporting, so that default behavior can be just local. This for privacy and security reasons.
>   If you are on the same subnet, then just address inspection works, but for both a typical residential context (both Ethernet and Wi-Fi so at least two subnets) and a commercial context (maybe many) are there ways for an end-use device to determine if a querying management system device is on the local LAN or not.
>   To be clear, this is for the individual device to decide whether or not to respond to a request from another device that it has no functional relationship with.
> Bruce Nordman
> nordman.lbl.gov <http://nordman.lbl.gov/>
> [email-masked]
> 510-486-7089
> m: 510-501-7943
> _______________________________________________
> T2TRG mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/t2trg