Subject: [T2TRG] Call for Papers: Workshop on Decentralized Internet Infrastructure

From: "Dirk Kutscher" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 11:10:03 +0100

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this]

Call for Papers: Workshop on Decentralized Internet Infrastructure

https://www.ndss-symposium.org/ndss2019/cfp-din-2019/

Background

The internet was designed as a distributed, decentralized system. For
example, intra- and inter-domain routing, DNS, and so on were designed
to operate in a distributed manner. However, over time the dominant
deployment model for applications and some infrastructure services
evolved to become more centralized and hierarchical. Some of the
increase in centralization is due to business models that rely on
centralized accounting and administration.

However, we are simultaneously seeing the evolution of use cases
(e.g., certain IoT deployments) that have difficulties scaling up
and/or establishing trust in centralized deployment scenarios, along
with the evolution of decentralized technologies which leverage new
cryptographic infrastructures, such as DNSSEC, or which use novel,
cryptographically-based distributed consensus mechanisms, such as a
number of different ledger technologies.

While there is currently intensive research and development taking
place around decentralized applications, the problem of decentralized
infrastructure is receiving relatively less attention, despite the
research challenges in this space. Some of these challenges include:

● Scalability - what are the problems that prevent decentralized
infrastructure services from achieving global scale?
● Trust management in decentralized communication settings
● Privacy and targeted, verifiable disclosure
● Applicability of distributed ledger and related technologies to
different use cases and environments
● Consensus algorithms for specific scenarios with a focus on Internet
infrastructure services
● Distributed Trust and Delegated Computing
● Economic drivers and roadblocks for decentralizing network
infrastructure

Although the term "decentralized" tends to suggest distributed
ledger-based approaches, our interest in decentralized infrastructure
is not limited to the use of ledgers.

This workshop will address open research issues in decentralizing
Internet infrastructure services such as trust management, name
resolution, resource ownership management, and resource discovery.

Location and Important Dates
Paper submission: 14 December 2018, anywhere in the world
Notification: 14 January 2019
Camera-ready copy due: 3 February 2019
Workshop: 24 February 2019 (co-located with NDSS 2019)
Location: Catamaran Resort Hotel & Spa in San Diego, California, USA

Submission Instructions

Submissions should be non-anonymous, and consist of a main body and,
optionally, well-marked appendices. For papers that have already been
published, submission should include a cover letter (at most 2 pages)
commenting on what the workshop presentation would contain, appended
with the published paper. For papers not already formally published,
the main body should be about 12 pages in length with reasonable
margins and fonts. Appendices are optional and unlimited in length;
however, Workshop Technical Program Committee members may base their
decisions solely on the contents of the main bodies of submissions.

We also invite short papers of up to 6 pages covering work in
progress, short communications, as well as novel or provocative ideas.
Short papers will be selected based on their potential to spark
interesting discussions during the workshop. They should be about 6
pages in length. We expect to be flexible on length and format given
relevant submissions.

Papers should be submitted at https://din19.hotcrp.com

Technical Programm Committee

Melinda Shore, Fastly (co-chair)
Dirk Kutscher, Huawei (co-chair)
Marcelo Bagnulo, UC3M
Shehar Bano, University College London
Carsten Bormann, Universität Bremen
Jon Crowcroft, University of Cambridge
Thomas Hardjono, MIT Trust::Data Consortium
Christian Huitema, Private Octopus
Liubingyang, Huawei
Paulo Mendes, Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias
Dave Oran, Network Systems Research & Design
Jörg Ott, TU Munich
Christian Esteve Rothenberg, University of Campinas
Keshav Srinivasan, University of Waterloo
Jean-Luc Watson, University of California, Berkely
Lixia Zhang, UCLA
Din mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.irtf.org/mailman/listinfo/din