Subject: [tap] My TAP agenda for the QA Hackathon

From: Michael G Schwern <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:15:15 -0700

As some of you know, there's going to be a QA Hackathon in Birmingham, UK in a
week and a half.  http://qa-hackathon.org/  Myself, AndyA, Ovid and a few
others on here will be attending.  Last year in Oslo we got a lot of stuff
discussed about TAP and it was great.

Here's my agenda for this year:

I would like the focus to be about resolving existing problems and completing
proposed solutions rather than opening new discussions.  We half completed a
lot of stuff at the last hackathon and I want that old business closed.  I
want to walk out with a solid protocol and some prototype implementations.

First is getting the IETF draft done fully describing TAP in its current
state.  This includes a working grammar and all corner cases resolved.

Second, I would like to discuss a deprecation policy.  This includes revising
the version numbering and a list of things we would like to official deprecate
as part of the first IETF draft goes out.

Third, I would like to firmly resolve the extensions discussed at the last
hackathon.  First and foremost, I want to see the format of the structured
diagnostics resolved: YAML or JSON or something else; key reservation.  I want
nested/sub tests.  I want a logging syntax.

Fourth, I want the TAP test suite completed.  Mainly for the writer but also
for the reader.

Finally, I want a reference implementation of a TAP writer preferably working
directly from the grammar.

There will be plenty of work for programmers and non programmers alike.  TO
THE ANGRY DOME!

-- 
124. Two drink limit does not mean first and last.
    -- The 213 Things Skippy Is No Longer Allowed To Do In The U.S. Army
           http://skippyslist.com/list/