Subject: [Taps] [Errata Held for Document Update] RFC8304 (6371)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 15:47:13 -0800 (PST)

The following errata report has been held for document update 
for RFC8304, "Transport Features of the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Lightweight UDP (UDP-Lite)". 

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6371

--------------------------------------
Status: Held for Document Update
Type: Editorial

Reported by: Nikolai Malykh <[email-masked]>
Date Reported: 2020-12-26
Held by: Martin Duke (IESG)

Section: 3.1

Original Text
-------------
   ERROR_REPORT:  The ERROR_REPORT event informs an application of "soft
      errors", including the arrival of an ICMP or ICMPv6 error message.
      Section 4.1.4 of the requirements for Internet hosts [RFC1122]
      states that "UDP MUST pass to the application layer all ICMP error
      messages that it receives from the IP layer."  For example, this
      event is required to implement ICMP-based Path MTU Discovery
      [RFC1191] [RFC8201].  UDP applications must perform a CONNECT to
      receive ICMP errors.

Corrected Text
--------------
   ERROR_REPORT:  The ERROR_REPORT event informs an application of "soft
      errors", including the arrival of an ICMP or ICMPv6 error message.
      Section 4.1.3.3 of the requirements for Internet hosts [RFC1122]
      states that "UDP MUST pass to the application layer all ICMP error
      messages that it receives from the IP layer."  For example, this
      event is required to implement ICMP-based Path MTU Discovery
      [RFC1191] [RFC8201].  UDP applications must perform a CONNECT to
      receive ICMP errors.

Notes
-----
Incorrect reference to RFC 1122

--------------------------------------
RFC8304 (draft-ietf-taps-transports-usage-udp-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Transport Features of the User Datagram Protocol (UDP) and Lightweight UDP (UDP-Lite)
Publication Date    : February 2018
Author(s)           : G. Fairhurst, T. Jones
Category            : INFORMATIONAL
Source              : Transport Services
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG