Subject: [Taps] Fwd: Consultation and survey on planning for IETF 112 and COVID-related restrictions

From: Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 15:32:45 -0700

Dear TAPS,

Just in case folks missed it: The below email includes a survey on how 
people feel about a potential in-person meeting in Madrid.

The survey closes July 26.

I'm sure they'll appreciate folks filling this out. Thanks!

Best,
Theresa

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Consultation and survey on planning for IETF 112 and 
COVID-related restrictions
Date: 	Sun, 11 Jul 2021 18:57:40 +1200
From: 	IETF Executive Director <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>, 
[email-masked]

As the global COVID-19 pandemic is still with us, the IESG, IETF 
Administration LLC and IRTF Chair need to make a decision on whether to 
go ahead with an in-person meeting for IETF 112 Madrid or switch to an 
online meeting following the formal assessment process used for recent 
online IETF meetings. If we do go ahead then we also need to decide how 
we will operate a meeting under COVID-related protocols and 
restrictions, such as wearing of face masks and social distancing.

We are therefore seeking feedback on the following:

1. Assessment Criteria
We propose to use the same criteria [1] for assessing whether to go 
ahead with an in-person IETF 112 meeting or switch to an online meeting. 
These criteria were previously consulted on, amended as a result of the 
consultation, and worked well [2].

2. Interim planning guidelines and conditional plan for IETF meetings in 
a COVID-impacted venue
We propose to operate COVID-impacted meetings in compliance with the 
interim planning guidelines as set out in:

https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/Interim_planning_guidelines_for_IETF_meetings_in_COVID-impacted_venues.pdf

and using a plan that is put together using the following conditional 
template, depending on the specific local regulations we need to comply 
with:

https://www.ietf.org/media/documents/Conditional_plan_for_IETF_meetings_in_COVID-impacted_venues.pdf

3. The possible number of onsite participants
We want to try and estimate the number of onsite participants if we are 
able to go ahead with a meeting in Madrid, under a few possible 
scenarios. To help us with this, we ask that you complete the following 
very short survey:

https://ietf.iad1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_5vgbeMAOCNRwYPc

4. Fee structure
The fee structure we propose to use is set out in the conditional plan 
above and depends on the conditions around this meeting. - The onsite 
participation fee will either be the normal fee or a higher fee if COVID 
testing or other protocol costs need to be included.
- The remote fee will either be zero or as used for recent online IETF 
Meetings including unlimited fee waivers [3] if the number of onsite 
participants is too small for the meeting to be financially viable with 
no fee for remote participants

5. Decision timetable
We propose to use the following assessment timetable:

11 Jul 2021 This consultation and survey opens.

26 Jul 2021 Consultation and survey closes.

02 Aug 2021 Response to consultation communicated and assessment begins 
using the final criteria.

09 Aug 2021 Decision made and communicated.

16 Aug 2021 Registration opens.

08 Nov 2021 IETF 112 begins.

The proposed decision date of 09 August 2021 is 13 weeks before the 
meeting date, which should leave sufficient time for people to make 
travel arrangements if we do go ahead with an onsite meeting.
Please send any feedback to [email-masked] by 26 July 2021.

[1] 
https://www.ietf.org/how/meetings/109/assessment-framework-person-vs-online-ietf-109-meeting/
[2] 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/IE3AjAAzALF6WWV4N5-L0OEW0O0/
[3] 
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf-announce/WG48WAAgvYDtYT3zsRw4XOKZh5s/

-- 
Lars Eggert, IETF Chair
Jay Daley, IETF Executive Director
Colin Perkins, IRTF Chair

_______________________________________________
IETF-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce

---

From: Kyle Rose <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2021 18:45:36 -0400

Thank you for pointing this out, Theresa: I totally missed that there was a
survey in the original email.

Kyle

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 6:33 PM Theresa Enghardt <[email-masked]> wrote:

> <[email-masked]>
> To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>
> <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
>
> Administration LLC and IRTF Chair need to make a decision on whether to go
> ahead with an in-person meeting for IETF 112 Madrid or switch to an online
> meeting following the formal assessment process used for recent online IETF
> meetings. If we do go ahead then we also need to decide how we will operate
> a meeting under COVID-related protocols and restrictions, such as wearing
> of face masks and social distancing.
>
> We propose to use the same criteria [1] for assessing whether to go ahead
> with an in-person IETF 112 meeting or switch to an online meeting. These
> criteria were previously consulted on, amended as a result of the
> 2. Interim planning guidelines and conditional plan for IETF meetings in a
> COVID-impacted venue
> able to go ahead with a meeting in Madrid, under a few possible scenarios.
> To help us with this, we ask that you complete the following very short
> survey:
>
> participants is too small for the meeting to be financially viable with no
> fee for remote participants
>
>
> 5. Decision timetable
> meeting date, which should leave sufficient time for people to make travel
> arrangements if we do go ahead with an onsite meeting.
> IETF-Announce mailing [email-masked]://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>
> Taps mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/taps
>