Subject: CFP: Gigabit Networking Workshop GBN'95 at INFOCOM'95
From: "James P.G. Sterbenz" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
Cc: "James P.G. Sterbenz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 15:05:17 -0500

[NOTE: contrary to some INFOCOM info the abstract submit deadline is 1 March]

     GIGABIT NETWORKING WORKSHOP GBN'95 - Call for Participation
	      2 April 1995 - Boston, Massachusetts, USA

Sponsored by the IEEE ComSoc Technical Committee on Gigabit Networking
		    in conjunction with INFOCOM'95

PURPOSE AND FORMAT

The purpose of this workshop is to provide a forum for presenting and
discussing very recent work in gigabit networking and publishing it
in a timely manner. The workshop will consist of short presentations
and discussions of current work in high bandwidth networking, as well
as longer discussion sessions. The workshop will take place from 8:30
AM until 3:00 PM with lunch provided. There will be an open business
meeting of the Technical Committee on Gigabit Networking following the
workshop at 3:00 PM.

The workshop will consist of a number of short informal presentations
and discussion on current research and implementation, hot topics,
position statements, and controversial issues relating to high
bandwidth networking. End-to-end issues including transport and higher
layer protocols, host and network interface architecture, operating
systems, emerging applications, deployment and management of large
networks, economic and regulatory issues, security and privacy, and
other societal impacts will be of particular interest. A one-page
abstract of the presentation is due on 1 March 1995; all reasonable
proposals will be considered (and possibly some controversial
ones). The length of the presentations will be limited to 10 or 15
minutes each, with the number of presentation foils strictly limited.

Presentations will appear in the online proceedings of the workshop,
under URL http://info.gte.com/ieee-tcgn/conference/gbn95 or by FTP
from ftp.gte.com/pub/ieee-tcgn/conference/gbn95/. Selected abstracts
of the presentations will appear in _IEEE Network Magazine_
(tentatively May 1995), and presenters may be invited to submit papers
to a special issue of the _Journal of High Speed Networks_ (JHSN).
There will blocks of time reserved for interactive discussion
sessions. Suggestions for topics will be taken in advance (email to
[email-masked] and Cc: to [email-masked]), but will also be welcome
at the workshop.  Controversial topics and outrageous viewpoints are
encouraged. A summary of the workshop discussions will appear in _IEEE
Network Magazine_.

SUBMISSION

The submission deadline for the one-page abstract is 1 March
1995. Submission should be in plain text by email to the program chair
at [email-masked]; please include the text "GBN'95 Submission" in the
Subject: field. All submissions will be quickly acknowledged; the lack
of an acknowledgment indicates that the author should contact the
program chair to confirm the receipt of the proposal. Notification of
accepted presentations will be made by 10 March 1995, and all accepted
presenters are expected to register in advance for the workshop. At
the time of the workshop, an electronic version of the presentation
foils will be due for inclusion in the online proceedings. Submission
in postscript and/or HTML is encouraged; if these formats are not
possible, plain text will be accepted.

REGISTRATION

Registration for the workshop will be handled as part of INFOCOM'95
registration; information is available
   on the WWW         http://www.research.att.com/~hgs/infocom95/program.html
   by anonymous FTP   gaia.cs.umass.edu/pub/hgschulz/infocom95/progam.txt
   email request to   [email-masked]

Additional copies of the GBN'95 CFP are available
   on the WWW         http://info.gte.com/ieee-tcgn/conference/gbn95/cfp.html
   by anonymous FTP   ftp.gte.com/pub/ieee-tcgn/conference/gbn95/cfp.txt
   email request to   [email-masked]

The home page for the TCGN is URL http://info.gte.com/ieee-tcgn, and
has additional information.

PROGRAM CHAIR                                   PROGRAM COMMITTEE
James P. G. Sterbenz                           Nim Cheung, Bellcore
GTE Telecom. Research Laboratory           Dave Feldmeier, Bellcore
40 Sylvan Road MS-61,                         Bryan Lyles, Xerox PARC
Waltham, MA 02254 USA                          Ira Richer, MITRE
+1 617 466 2786                              Dick Skillen, Northern Telecom
[email-masked]                         Richard A. Thompson, Univ. of Pittsburgh
http://info.gte.com/jpgs                     Shukri Wakid, NIST

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 18:53:00 -0800
To: Sandy McCrady <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: [email-masked] (Brian Lloyd)
Subject: Re: RE- client/server image sof
Content-Length: 1225

At  9:11 1/19/95 +0000, Sandy McCrady wrote:
>        Reply to:   RE: client/server image software
>
>Anyone know any good client/server (UNIX) existing software or something that
>could easily be modified that does image/rastor/TIF manipulation (view/zoom,
>pan, move around on the screen, print). Need some sort of button/menu control
>so it can talk on the back end to a pgm that talks to an ORACLE data base.
>(Windows should be MOTIF and maybe use DCE/Encina.)
>
>Any good ideas?

Try xv.  We run it on our Suns under generic X11R5.  It can accept a number
of image formats in and it generates a bunch out, including postscript for
driving laser printers.  It lets you crop, scale, change aspect ratio
(stretch), modify color maps, modify intensity and chroma transfer
functions, etc.  I use it to generate false color images and do image
enhancement.  It was especially useful in processing lunar terminator
images from Clementine.

Brian Lloyd, President                         Lloyd Internetworking
[email-masked]                                3031 Alhambra Dr, Suite 102
http://www.lloyd.com                           Cameron Park, CA  95682
(916) 676-1147 - voice                         (916) 676-3442 - fax

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 21:00:30 EST
To: [email-masked]
Subject: CFP: ACM Multimedia'95
Content-Length: 8210

***************************************************************************

			ACM MULTIMEDIA'95
                        November 5-9, 1995 
		    Hyatt Regency (Embarcadero)
			San Francisco, CA

  THE THIRD ACM INTERNATIONAL MULTIMEDIA CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION

      	  Sponsored by the ACM SIG Multimedia, SIGCHI,
	SIGGRAPH, SIGBIT, SIGBIO, SIGCOMM, SIGIR and SIGOIS
         
      In cooperation with ACM SIGAPP, SIGCAPH, SIGMOD and SIGOPS

                  PRELIMINARY CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

***************************************************************************

Multimedia can substantially improve communication between information
providers and consumers by making it more effective and more engaging.
ACM Multimedia'95 will provide an international forum for papers, panels,
videos, demonstrations, courses, workshops, and exhibits focusing on all
aspects of this multi-disciplinary field: from underlying technologies
to applications and issues, and from theory to practice. We invite your
participation.

Topics include, but are not limited to: applications in education,
entertainment, government, medicine, etc.; collaboration environments;
databases; digital libraries; distributed systems; documents and
authoring; hardware and architectures; image, video and audio
compression techniques; information retrieval; interactive television;
media integration and synchronization; networking and communication;
operating system extensions; programming paradigms and environments;
standards and legal issues; storage and I/O architectures; tools; user
interfaces; and virtual reality.

Papers
------
Technical papers on completed or in-progress research, innovative
applications, or experience with multimedia systems are solicited.
Submissions must use a typeface no smaller than 10 point, double sided
if possible, and be no longer than 12 pages including figures, tables, 
and references. Where applicable, prototype demonstrations or videotape 
presentations are encouraged to supplement the talks. Submit complete
papers to: Polle Zellweger, Program Chair.

Outstanding papers on different areas of multimedia will be given awards.
Papers with a student as the primary author will enter a student paper
award competition. A cover letter must identify the paper as a candidate
for the student paper competition. Selected papers will be forwarded to
ACM/Springer-Verlag Multimedia Systems, Communications of the ACM,
IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, or ACM Transactions on Information
Systems.

Panels
------
Panels are solicited that examine innovative, controversial, or
otherwise provocative issues of interest. Proposals should be limited
to 2 pages, plus a biography of at most one paragraph for each
participant. Submit panel proposals to:  Fillia Makedon, Panels Chair.

Videos
------
Videos of innovative multimedia technology  should be 5-8 minutes long,
in NTSC format, and accompanied by one copy of a 1-2 page description
of the material shown in the video. Submit videos to:  Gil Cruz, Videos 
Chair.

Demonstrations
--------------
We solicit demonstrations of working systems in technical and artistic
categories. Submissions (at most 2 pages) should include a description of
the exhibit, demo requirements, a biography, and a single VHS NTSC video.
Submit demonstrations to: Tom Little, Demonstrations Chair. 

Courses
-------
There will be a series of 1/2-day tutorial courses, focused on issues
relevant to researchers and/or practitioners of multimedia technology.
Proposals (at most 5 pages) should include a description of the subject
matter and brief biographical sketches of the instructors.  Evaluation
of proposals will be based on expertise and experience of instructors,
relevance of subject matter, and the use of multimedia technology in the
presentation. Submit tutorial proposals to: Sorel Reisman, Tutorials 
Chair.

Workshops
---------
Workshops preceding the conference will allow participants to exchange
ideas on a topic. Workshop results and issues will be integrated into the
main body of the conference. Submit workshop proposals to: Ephraim 
Glinert, Workshops Chair.

Exhibits
--------
ACM Multimedia'95 offers a unique opportunity for vendors and publishers
to exhibit and demonstrate multimedia products. For more information,
contact Don Collier, Exhibition Manager.

=============

IMPORTANT SUBMISSION INFORMATION 
--------------------------------
Authors should consult the World Wide Wed at http://acm.org/MM95/ for a 
more detailed submission guidelines and up-to-date information about ACM
Multimedia'95.

Authors of accepted submissions will be required to submit both a camera-
ready copy of the manuscript for the printed proceedings and an electronic 
copy for the CD ROM proceedings.

Authors must assign copyright to ACM as a condition of publishing their
work in the proceedings. An author who embeds an object, such as an art
image, copyrighted by a third party is expected to obtain that party's
permission to include the object with the understanding that the entire
work may be distributed as a unity to ACM members and others.

IMPORTANT DATES 
---------------
Six copies of all submissions due: March 31, 1995. Notification of 
acceptance: June 30, 1995. Submissions in final form due: August 11, 1995.

CONFERENCE COMMITTEE
--------------------
General Chair:				
 R.B. Allen, Bellcore		 		    
Networking:
 G. Paxinos, Metro Link
Proceedings:
 S. Heller, GWU
Electronic Information:			
 H. Zhang, CMU			
Electronic Publishing:			
 R. Phillips, LANL		 	
Publicity:				
 R. Mehrotra, UM-St. Louis  
Treasurer:
 M. Brown, DEC
European Liaison: 		
 C. Thanos, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche (Pisa)
Steering Committee Co-Chairs:
 S. Bulick, US WEST
 A. Kuchinsky, Hewlett Packard

PROGRAM CHAIR:								
 Polle Zellweger		 
 Xerox PARC			
 3333 Coyote Hill Road	  	
 Palo Alto, CA 94304 USA	 	
 [email-masked]		 
 Phone: +1-415-812-4426		  

PANELS CHAIR:	
 Fillia Makedon
 Dept. of Math and Computer Sci.
 Dartmouth College
 6211 Sudikoff Laboratory, Room 109
 Hanover, NH 03755-3510 USA
 [email-masked]
 Phone: +1-603-646-3048.

VIDEOS CHAIR:				
 Gil Cruz, R. Hill		
 MRE-2B280		
 Bellcore				
 445 South Street		 
 Morristown, NJ 07960 USA	 
 {gil,[email-masked] 	 	 
 Phone: +1-201-829-5212		

DEMONSTRATIONS CHAIR:
 Tom Little
 Dept. of Elec. and Computer Engr.
 Boston University
 44 Cummington St.
 Boston, MA 02215 USA
 [email-masked]
 Phone: +1-617-353-9877

TUTORIALS CHAIR:			
 Sorel Reisman			 	
 Dept. of Management Science/Information Systems
 California State University	 
 Fullerton, CA 92634 USA	 	 	
 [email-masked] 	  	
 Phone: +1-714-773-3325		 

WORKSHOPS CHAIR:
 Ephraim Glinert
 Dept. of Computer Science
 R. P. I.
 Troy, NY 12180 USA
 [email-masked]
 Phone: +1-518-276-2657

EXHIBITS CHAIR:			
 Brent Hailpern			 
 IBM T.J. Watson Res. Ctr.	 
 30 Sawmill River Roada		 
 Hawthorne, NY 10532 USA	 	 
 [email-masked]		 
 Phone: +1-914-784-6821		 

EXHIBITOR INFORMATION:
 Don Collier
 DC Expositions, Inc.
 555 Republic Drive, Suite #316
 Plano, TX 75074 USA
 [email-masked]
 Phone +1-214-423-4286

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
-----------------
Program Chair:
P. Zellweger, Xerox PARC, USA

AssociateChairs:

D.P. Anderson, Sonic Solutions, USA 
F. Brody, Inst. of Adv. Comm., Austria 
D.C.A. Bulterman, CWI, Netherlands 
E.A. Fox, Virginia Tech, USA 
F. Golshani, Arizona State Univ., USA 
R.G. Herrtwich, IBM Eurocoord., France 
H. Ishii, NTT, Japan 
T.D.C. Little, Boston Univ., USA 
W. Mackay, Rank Xerox Res. Centre, UK 
V. deMey, Apple Computer, USA
A.D. Narasimhalu, National Univ. of Singapore 
J. Rosenberg, Bellcore, USA 
E. Schooler, Caltech, USA 
B. Smith, Cornell Univ., USA 
H. Vin, Univ. of Texas, Austin, USA 
A. Weinrib,Intel Architecture Labs, USA 
N. Yankelovich,Sun Microsystems, USA 

GENERALINFORMATION:
http://acm.org/MM95/
+1-201-829-4315

REGISTRATIONINFORMATION:
+1-508-443-3330 x1230
+1-800-524-1851 x1230

***************************************************************************
      1995 ACM INTERNATIONAL MULTIMEDIA CONFERENCE AND EXHIBITION
***************************************************************************

From: Ted Laliotis <[email-masked]>
Subject: Information Superhighway Conference
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 17:51:43 PST
Cc: [email-masked]
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85.2.1]
Content-Length: 14732

*******Please post to other groups that may be interested******

          TECHNOLOGIES for the SUPERHIGHWAY

                 IEEE COMPCON 95

To be held in San Francisco, March 5-9 at the Stanford Court Hotel.

COMPCON '95 is the premier professional conference on
Information Superhighway Technologies and applications.
It is sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society. There
are no exhibits. This is a no-nonsense technical
conference for computer science and engineering
professionals who are interested to share and learn
more about the rapidly growing Information Superhighway
business. Besides three days of 90 technical sessions,
there are 9 tutorials in relevant subjects.
------------------------------

For Advanced Program (printed copy after Jan 20)
 e-mail: [email-masked]
 FAX: 408 973 1325

URL for World Wide Web access: http://www.hal.com/compcon

To Register for the conference:
 e-mail: [email-masked]
 FAX: 510 422 2495,  Tel: 510 422 2199
 Mail:  Compcon 95
        c/o Dave Hunt, L-130
        LLNL, PO Box 808,
        Livermore, CA 94550

Conference Fees (3 days):
               Early*    On-site
 IEEE Member   $ 325      $ 375
 Non-Member    $ 425      $ 475
 Student        $ 50       $ 50

*Early registration cut off: Feb. 21

One-day  $175 (Members), $250 (non-members),

Tutorials (these cost extra)
 Full day tutorials same as conference fees
 1/2 day tutorials (half above fee)

Speakers, committee members, session chairs can all use the lower member prices,
whether an IEEE member or not.

.pa
============
 Master Compcon 1995 plan with papers, sessions and Tutorials

============
 Theme:                  TECHNOLOGIES for the SUPERHIGHWAY

MONDAY March 6, 1995

Plenary speakers:
         Professor Dave Farber,
         Moore Professor of Telecommunications, University of Pensylvania
         "Glass Tunnels Connecting Broadband Islands - The GII"

         Jim Clark, Chairman and CEO, Netscape Communications Corp.
          "Internet = Electronic Commerce, Now!"

Monday,  Track 1

World Wide Web Topics, W. W. Wilcke, HAL
 1. The WWW as a Platform Independent Interface to High Performance
    Computing, David Robertson and Bill Johnston, Lawrence Berkeley
    Laboratory
 2. WWW Network Traffic Patterns, Jeffrey Sedayao, Intel
 3. A Powerful Wide-Area Client, Tak W. Yan, Stanford Univ,
    and Juergen Annevelink, HP

Electronic Commerce on the Internet, D. Gifford, Open Market Inc, and MIT
 1. Netbill: An Electronic Commerce System Optimized for Network
    Delivered Information and Services, Marvin Sirbu and
    J. Doug Tygar, Carnegie Mellon University
 2. Payment Switches for Open Networks, by D. Gifford, A. Payne,
    L. Stewart, and W. Treese, Open Market, Inc.
 3. Payment services for open networks, B. Clifford Neuman,
    University of Southern California

Business on Networks, Fred Strange, LLNL and FSTC
 1. Doing Business of the Information Highway:  The nine steps to
    conduct business on the info. highway. F, Strange, LLNL
 2. CommerceNet: Spontaneous Electronic Commerce on the Internet
    Allan M. Schiffman and Jay M. Tenenbaum, EIT
 3. Ordering, Distributing and Receipt:  Order Processing &
    Management at IBM, Don Willenborg, IBM
 4. Billing, Payment/Settlement, Accounting & Ancillary Services:
    Netaccount, Deepak Gupte, Nations Bank

.pa

Monday, Track 2

Is it time to pay attention?
 Information Highway Trials in the Bay Area, W. J. Lennon, LLNL
 1. Wavelength Division Multiplexing Wide Area Network trial:
    The National Transparent Optical Network Consortium, W. J. Lennon,
    Lawrence Livermore National Lab
 2. Wavelength Division Multiplexing in Local Area Network:
    Stanford's Starnet, Leonid Kazovsky, Stanford University
 3. ATM services Trial: BAGnet and other CalREN supported projects
    William Johnston, Lawrence Berkeley Lab

Distance Learning Technologies, Tom Wilkins, HP
 1. Distance Learning on the Desk Top, Pat Portway,
    Applied Business Telecommunications
 2. Distance Learning in Higher Education, Dr. Carla Lane
 3. Distance learning the community/corporate connection, Tom Wilkins, HP

Satellite Superhighways, Ted Laliotis, HP    
 1. Superhighway to the home via DBS delivery, Peter Hampton,
    Primestar Partners
 2. Low Earth Orbit (LEO) applications on the horizon, James Stuart,
    Teledesic
 3. Role of satellites in NII and GII, Lawrence P. Seidman, Hughes
 4. Gigabit Satellites in Distributed Supercomputing for Global Research,
    Larry Bergman, JPL

.pa

Monday, Track 3

Alpha 21164 Microprocessor and Systems, Dileep Bhandarkar, DEC
 1. The Organization of the Alpha 21164 Microprocessor
    Pete Bannon and Jim Keller, Digital Equipment Corporation
 2. World's Fastest Workstation, John Zurawski, John Murray, Paul Lemmon.
    Digital Equipment Corp
 3. 21164 based High Performance Multiprocessor Server
    D.M.Fenwick, D.J.Foley, S.R.VanDoren, Digital Equipment Corporation

First generation PowerPC SMP systems, Kimming So, IBM
 1. IBM RS/6000 Commercial SMP Systems, James O. Nicholson, IBM
 2. AIX Operating System Support for Symmetric Multiprocessing
    Jack C. O'Quin, Ronald S. Clark and Thomas V. Weaver, IBM
 3. The performance and performance methodology for a PowerPC SMP system
    Bret R. Olszewski, IBM, Jean-Jacques Guillemaud, Groupe Bull Inc

PA-RISC: Application-Driven Innovation, Ruby Lee, HP
 1. Advanced Performance Features of the 64-bit PA-8000
    Doug Hunt, et al , HP, Fort Collins
 2. New MP Hardware Architecture for Commercial and Technical Environments,
    Loren Staley, et al , HP Roseville
 3. A Highly Scalable System Utilizing up to 128 PA-RISC Processors
    Tony Brewer, et al, Convex Computer
.pa
TUESDAY, March 7, 1995

Plenary speakers:
         Steve Schramm, VP Engineering, General Magic,
              "Agents that Travel"

         Andy Lippman, Associate director, MIT Media Lab,
              "Distributed Media Bank"

Tuesday, Track 4

Information Hosting Services, G. Lidor, Bell Labs, AT&T
 1. PersonaLink Agent-based Messaging and Information Services
    Paul S. R. Chisholm, AT&T
 2. InfoSleuth: Networked Exploitation of Information using Semantic
    Agents, Darrell Woelk and Christine Tomlinson, MCC
 3. Enhancing Lotus Notes for Carrier Grade Hosting,
    Paul Cummings, Lotus Development Corp.

Mobile Internet Applications (based on PDAs), Joel Bartlett, DEC
 1. Experience with a Wireless World Wide Web Client, Joel F. Bartlett, DEC
 2. Enabling PDA's with Wireless Communications, Rick Lane, Motorola
 3. Video on Demand in Wireless Communication, E. Tsern, Stanford Univ

Infopad, A. Baum, Apple
 1. The Infopad Project: Providing Portable Multimedia Access
    to the Information Highway, Bob Brodersen or Jan Rabaey UC Berkeley
 2. Infopad:  A Low Power, Wireless Multimedia Terminal, Sam Sheng, UC Berkeley
 3. Infonet: Network Infrastructure and Software for Mobile Information Access,
    My Le, UC Berkeley
 4. User Interface and Applications in the Infopad Environment,
    Andy Burstein or Eric Brewer, UC Berkeley

.pa

Tuesday, Track 5

Advanced Media Enhancement Technologies.  R. Lee, HP
 1. An Object-Based Architecture for a Digital Compression Camera,
    John Beck, et al, HP Chelmsford
 2. Realtime MPEG Video via Software Decompression on PA-RISC Processors,
    Ruby Lee, et al, HP Cupertino
 3. Color Recovery: Millions of Colors from an 8-bit Graphics Device,
    Anthony Barkans, HP Fort Collins

Interactive TV, R. Williams, IBM
 1. Set-top boxes and applications, Lee Colby, HP
 2. Oracle media server and its applications, Andy Laursen, Mark Porter and
    Jeffrey Olkin, Oracle
 3. Video on Demand: Hong Kong trial, R. Haskin and F. Stein, IBM

Storage Hierarchy in Multimedia Systems, M. Kienzle, IBM
 1. Buffering and Caching in Large-Scale Video Servers,
    Asit Dan, Dan Dias, Rajat Mukherjee, Christos Polyzois, Dinkar
    Sitaram, Renu Tewari, IBM
 2. Using Tertiary Storage in Video-on-Demand Servers
    Martin Kienzle, Asit Dan, Dinkar Sitaram, and William Tetzlaff, IBM
 3. Server Preroll RPC for Client/Server Multimedia
    M.Baugher, G.Flurry, J.Wilkinson, IBM
 4. Elements of scalable video servers, W. Tetzlaff, IBM and
    R. Flynn, Polytechnic University.

.pa
Tuesday, Track 6

HAL Computer Systems, Wen Li, HAL
 1. Architectural Overview of HAL Systems, Winfried W. Wilcke, HAL
 2. The CPU Microarchitecture, Niteen Patkar, HAL
 3. Cache and Memory Management Microarchitecture, Chien Chen and
    Dave Lyon and David Chang, HAL

PowerPC Processors, S. Peter Song, IBM and Nasr Ullah, Motorola
 1. A PowerPC Microprocessor for the Low Power Computing Market,
    Deene Ogden, Belli Kuttanna, Albert J. Loper, Soummya Mallick
    and Michael Putrino, IBM
 2. The PowerPC 620 Microprocessor: A High Performance Superscalar
    RISC Microprocessor, David Levitan, Thomas L. Thomas, Motorola and
    Paul Tu, IBM
 3. A Pipelined, Weakly-Ordered Bus for Multi-Processing Systems
    Michael Allen and Kurt Lewchuk, Motorola

Power PC software and Systems, N. Ullah, Motorola, M. NguyenPhu, IBM
 1. The PowerPC Architecture: 64-bit Power with 32-bit Compatibility
    C. Ray Peng, Motorola, Tom Petersen and Ron Clark, IBM
 2. The PowerPC 620 in Distributed Computing,
    Michael P. Taborn, John K. Yuan, David C. Lee, and Albert Tsay, IBM
 3. Developing Windows NT Applications for the PowerPC,
    Howard C. Thamm, Motorola
 4. Using the PowerPC Microprocessor for Power-Managed Systems (by IBM),
    Keith Braithwaite, IBM

.pa

Social Hour: TOP OF THE MARK, MARK HOPKINS HOTEL, 5:30 - 7:30
  Note: The TOP OF THE MARK is a restaurant on top of a hotel tower
        next to the conference hotel. Since both hotels are on top
	of Nob Hill, the view from the TOP OF THE MARK is absolutely
	spectacular.

.pa

WEDNESDAY, March 8, 1995

Plenary speakers:
               Professor Dave Patterson, UC Berkeley
                    "A Case for Networks of Workstations: NOW"

               John Warnock, CEO of Adobe Systems
                   "The New Information Frontier"

Wednesday, Track 7

NOW: Networks of Workstations, D. Patterson, UC Berkeley
 1. The IBM SP-2, Tilak Agerwala, IBM
 2. The Berkeley NOW Project, Thomas E. Anderson, David E. Culler, and
    David A. Patterson, U.C. Berkeley
 3. Tempest: User-level Shared Memory", Mark D. Hill, James R. Larus, and
    David A. Wood, University of Wisconsin

High speed network protocols, W. Lennon, LLNL
 1. 1394 --It's Everywhere, Dan Moore and Gary Hoffman, Skipstone Inc.
 2. Fibrechannel 1995, Ed Frymoyer, HP
 3. Local Area MultiProcessor: surpassing clusters,
    David B. Gustavson, SCIzzL, and Prof. Qiang Li, Santa Clara University

ATM panel, S. Bell, Bell Consulting
 1. The WAN Perspective, Larry Roberts, CEO ATM Systems
 2. The LAN Perspective, Robert Newman, Dir. ATM,  Synoptics
 3. The Silicon Perspective, Akber Kazmi, Philips Semiconductor

.pa

Wednesday, Track 8

Taligent Object Services, J. Grimes, Taligent
 1. Runtime Services for Persistent Objects, Russell Nakano, et al,
    Taligent
 2. An Object-Oriented Device Driver Model, Steve Lemon, et al, Taligent
 3. Object-Oriented Wrappers for the Mach Microkernel, Stephen Kurtzman
    and Kayshav Dattatri, Taligent

Multimedia Authoring and Acrobat, J. King, Adobe and M. Harrison, UC Berkeley
 1. Technical Issues in Hypermedia Scripting Languages,
    Brian F. Dennis and Prof. Michael A. Harrison, UC Berkeley
 2. Acrobat 2.0, Andrew Shore, Adobe Systems
 3. Choosing the Right Tool for the Job: Authoring vs. Programming Tools,
    Michael McGrath, Grafica Multimedia, Inc.

Post-Production (Hollywood), A. Fetzer, consultant
 1. Digital Editing Technology in Broadcast Video Production
    Leon Siverman, Laser Pacific
 2. Digital Technology and the Convergence in Film, Video and Multimedia
    Bruce Pfander, 20th Century Fox
 3. Digital Editing Technology - A Film Maker's Perspective
    Andrew Silver, Silver Productions

.pa

Wednesday, Track 9

Advanced CD systems, W. Lenth
 1. CD technology for the future,
    Hoss Bozorgzad, Philips
 2. CD and Competing Mass Storage Technologies in an Application Driven
     Environment, Paul Wehrenberg, Apple
 3. CD or not to CD, A. Bell, IBM

High Performance Storage Systems, R. Morris, IBM
 1. Scalable Network Storage, E. K. Lee, Digital Equipment Corporation
 2. The Parallel Scotch Storage Server, G. Gibson, CMU
 3. Future Directions in RAID, J. Menon, IBM

New Trends in Storage Management, J. Menon, IBM
 1. ADSM: A multi-platform, scalable, backup and archive mass storage system.
    L-F Cabrera, B. Rees, S. Steiner,  et al. IBM
 2. An Object Oriented Model for Distributed Storage Management,
    David Low, EMC
 3. Step by Step, Hierarchical Storage Management, Jim Gast, Palindrome
 4. Data Striping for Heterogeneous Environments, Jim McNiel, Cheyenne

.pa

Wednesday, Track 10

The UltraSPARC Microprocessor with Multimedia Support,  Robert Garner, SUN
 1. UltraSPARC:  The Next Generation Superscalar 64b SPARC
    Dale Greenley, et al, SUN
 2. Verification of the UltraSPARC Microprocessor
    Shrenik Mehta, et al, SUN
 3. The Visual Instruction Set (VIS) in UltraSPARC, Marc Tremblay, SUN
 4. Video processing with UltraSparc, Chang Zhou, et al, SUN

Can Digital Technology Reinvent the Newspaper?  Panel, Paul Freiberger,
 Interval Research
 1. Publishing today is like an electronic pinata, Paul Saffo,
    Institute for the Future.
 2. An optimistic view that says hardware is key, John Markoff,
    New York Times
 3. Bill Mitchell, Director of Mercury Center, Knight-Ridder Inc.

Internet Access to Environmental Data, P. Mantey, UC Santa Cruz
 1. SEQUOIA 2000, Joseph Pasquale, UC San Diego
 2. BADGER: Bay Area Digital GeoResource, David Milgram
    Lockheed Research Laboratory
 3. REINAS: Real-Time Environmental Information Network and Analysis
    System, Darrell Long, UC Santa Cruz

==============
TUTORIALS

Sunday, March 5
 Yale N. Patt,  Computer Architecture Choices
 Steve W. Bell, ATM Overview
 Lawrence Rowe, Digital Audio and Video Compression, Multimedia Systems and
                Applications
 Henry A. Sowizral, Understanding and Developing Virtual Reality Systems

Thursday, March 9
 Robert Orfali, Dan Harkey and Jim Gray, Client/Server Overview and Update
 Dave Grubb and Jerry Owens, Exploring INTERNET on your PC
 Borko Furht, Distributed Multimedia Systems and Applications
 Jim King, Color on the Desktop, (1/2 day)
 M. Ketabchi, Is DBMS Technology in Chaos, Modern DBMS approaches Products and
              Standards and Trends (1/2 day)

Updated 1/6/95

  Robin Williams (Program Chair) [email-masked]
  Winfried W. Wilcke (General Chair) [email-masked]
  Ted Laliotis (Steering Committee Chair) [email-masked]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 15:31:31 -0600
To: @[email-masked]
Subject: IEEE 20th LCN Call for Papers.
Content-Length: 2685

           **********   CALL FOR PAPERS   **********

       20th Annual Conference on Local Computer Networks

"The Conference on Practical Leading Edge Computer Networking"

       October 15-18, 1995, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA

===============================================================
Sponsored by: IEEE Computer Society  TC-Computer Communications
===============================================================

Theme:

The emphasis on this year's conference is on practical
experience using computer networks in both the local area and
in the global area. This unique approach simulates a workshop
environment and allows for an effective interchange among
users, researchers, and vendors.  Some of the primary goals of
the conference are to enable those involved in the local
computer network field to share experiences, lessons learned,
and prototype data and analysis. Because of these objectives,
papers based on experience are especially solicited.

The focus of the 20th LCN will be Practical Experience Using
and Deploying Local Computer Networks. Papers that cover these
areas are explicitly sought and will be given preference.

Information for Authors:

All authors must submit 5 full copies of the full technical
paper by mail or delivery service.  DO NOT SUBMIT COMPLETE
PAPERS BY FAX. The first page must contain: title of the paper,
author's names including affiliations, complete mailing
address, telephone and FAX numbers, Internet or Bitnet address,
and a 250 word (maximum) abstract (double-spaced) in English to
Joe Bumblis, Program Chair, at the address below.

Sessions are being organized on:

o Internetworking/Routers/Bridges  o High Performance Protocols
o Multimedia                       o Metropolitan Area Networks
o Distributed Applications         o LAN/MAN/WAN Integration
o Wide Area Networks               o Standards
o ATM                              o Network Management
o Fibre Channel Networking         o Remote Monitoring
o High Speed Networks              o Wireless Networks
o Error Control Techniques         o Emerging Technologies
o Congestion Control               o Realtime Networks
o FDDI and FDDI-II                 o AI Networks

Send papers to:

Joe Bumblis, Program Chair         Important Dates:
3M
3M Center, Building 224-4N-27      Submission:   March 21, 1995
St. Paul,  MN  55144-1000          Acceptance:   June 27, 1995
                                   Camera Copy:  August 1 1995
+1 612-737-4763 (office)           Conference Summary
+1 612-736-7689 (fax)                - Tutorials
                                     - Technical Paper Sessions
[email-masked]                    - Panel Discussions

From: [email-masked]
Via: uk.ac.edinburgh.cogsci; Thu, 19 Jan 1995 16:40:32 +0000
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 16:40:19 GMT
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Workshop (sorry if you've seen this already)
Content-Length: 6779

			CALL FOR CONTRIBUTIONS
			and Registration Form

  This document is also accessible on the Web via the following URL:

	     http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~john/IMMI_call/

				IMMI-1

 First International Workshop on Intelligence and Multimodality in
    	   Multimedia Interfaces: Research and Applications

    		  Human Communication Research Centre
			         and
    		     EdCAAD, Dept. of Architecture

		        University of Edinburgh
		          Edinburgh, Scotland
	         Thursday 13th - Friday 14th July 1995

		        Arranged on behalf of:

 UK Dept. of Trade and Industry (DTI) Intelligent Systems Integration
 Programme: Special Interest Group on Intelligent Interfaces (IISIG)

		    In cooperation with the AAAI

 and in association with The HCI Group (a specialist group of the BCS)

    			    ACL SIGMEDIA

    			         BT

Multimedia is hailed as the next great step forward in interface
technology.  But the potential of this technology depends on a
greater understanding of how to exploit it more dynamically and
interactively.  Bringing ``intelligence'' into multimedia
interfaces is thus increasingly important.  This Workshop seeks
to assess progress and examine pointers for future research and
development directions; it seeks also to highlight issues arising
from experience of real multimedia applications, and hence
encourages industrial participation and reports from practice.

Contributions are invited concerning all kinds of work in the area.
Themes include (but are not restricted to):

*   Intelligent guidance for the creation, indexing and presentation
    of material stored in multimedia form (as in CD-I).

*   The development of techniques to handle presentation and dialogue
    involving arbitrary information in different media.

*   A focus on the interpretation (semantics) of different channels
    of communication, allowing display of the same information in
    different ways (often termed ``multimodality'').

*   The relationship between multimodal presentation and aspects of 
    users' tasks (e.g. reasoning, identification, etc.), including
    cognitive approaches to multimodal communication.

*   Formal methods for specification and reasoning in multimodal
    interactive systems.

*   A special theme on the integration of natural language and speech
    processing technology with interaction using other modalities
    such as graphics.

A followup Workshop is proposed, to be held in Cuernavaca, Mexico, in
late 1996, with the intention of further fostering transatlantic links.

Edinburgh, historic capital of Scotland, is one of the most attractive
of European cities.  This Workshop will be located in the majestic City
Chambers, less than five minutes' walk from the famous Castle.
University accommodation will be available very close to the venue.
Edinburgh in Summer is invariably host to a wide range of events and
activities, which in 1995 includes for instance the spectacular Tall
Ships Race, due to begin immediately following the Workshop.

Abstracts of approximately 5 pages in length should be submitted
by 14th February 1995 (preferably in electronic form) to:

    John Lee
    Human Communication Research Centre
    University of Edinburgh
    2 Buccleuch Place
    Edinburgh EH8 9LW
    Scotland, UK.

    Email:  [email-masked]
    Tel:   +44 131 650 4420
    Fax:   +44 131 650 4587

    IMMI-1 URL: http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~john/IMMI_call/

Requests for further information, registration forms, bookings for
accommodation etc. should be directed to the same address.

A notice of intention to submit an abstract would be appreciated as
early as possible.

Abstracts will be refereed: participation is limited to promote
discussion.  Accepted abstracts will be published in the quarterly of
the IISIG ("IIQ": ISSN 1356-3262) and it is intended that selected
authors will be invited to expand their contributions into full-length
papers to be published in book form.

    International Programme Committee:

    Elisabeth Andre, DFKI, Germany
    Noelle Carbonell, CRIN, France
    Ernest Edmonds, LUTCHI, UK
    Alistair Kilgour, Heriot-Watt University, UK
    John Lee, HCRC/EdCAAD, UK
    Mark Maybury, Mitre Corp., US
    Jon Oberlander, HCRC, UK
    Fabio Paterno, CNUCE, Italy
    Luis Pineda, IEE, Mexico
    Mike Revett, BT, UK
    Keith Stenning, HCRC, UK
    Michael Wilson, RAL, UK
    Kent Wittenburg, Bellcore, US

---------------------------------------------------------------------

			REGISTRATION FORM

			     IMMI-1
   1st International Workshop on Intelligence and Multimodality in
		      Multimedia Interfaces

The Workshop will be held in the Edinburgh City Chambers,
13-14 July 1995

Accommodation is available in Edinburgh University accommodation
buildings at Mylne's Court.  This is an excellently converted
tenement building in the heart of the 18th-century Old Town of
Edinburgh, offering a choice of single or twin rooms.  It is located
very close to the Castle, and about 3 minutes' walk from the Workshop
venue.  Bed and breakfast will cost 19.95 pounds (sterling) per night.
Car parking is unfortunately not easy.  Rooms will be available over
the weekend for those who wish to extend their stay.

Early registration is highly advisable for the University accommodation,
due to the limited number of rooms available (especially single rooms).

There is also a range of high-quality hotels in the city centre, within
easy access of the venue (details can be supplied).

The Workshop Fee, which includes preprints etc., lunches and a social
event, but not accommodation, is 100 pounds (sterling).  There is a
discount of 20% for students and members of the BCS HCI Group.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Please complete the following details for Registration at IMMI-1:

Name:

Address:

Post/Zip code:

Telephone:
FAX:
Email:

Registration fee = 100 pounds sterling (or with 20% discount = 80
pounds, if student or HCI Group member -- please enclose evidence).
Cheques, money orders etc. in sterling to be payable to the University
of Edinburgh.

I wish to reserve University accommodation (Mylne's Court) _____ (yes/no)

If "yes":  Number of rooms required: _____ (single) _____ (twin)

	   Nights required (mark as applicable):
						Wed.	13th
						Thurs.	14th
						Fri.	15th
						Sat.	16th
						Other (please specify)

Please send completed form and Registration Fee to:

John Lee
Human Communication Research Centre
University of Edinburgh
2 Buccleuch Place
Edinburgh EH8 9LW
Scotland, UK.

Email:  [email-masked]
Tel:   +44 131 650 4420
Fax:   +44 131 650 4587

A copy of this registration form is also available via the IMMI-1 URL:

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~john/IMMI_call/

To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: 7th IEEE LAN/MAN Workshop
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 09:29:59 -0800
From: Daniel Pitt <[email-masked]>
Content-Length: 19717

The deadline is approaching for registration for the 7th IEEE Workshop on
Local and Metropolitan Area Networks, to be held in the Florida Keys March
26-29.  Highlights include: 
 - a rapid-fire technical program of short, pointed talks 
 - a great keynote speaker, whose wit and insight leave a lasting impression
 - an intimate setting conducive to lots of discussion
 - unprecedented worldwide participation
 - a fabulous location.
 
Found below are the Workshop announcement, the program, and the registration
materials.  You are urged to act immediately; attendance is limited.
============================================================================ 
    Seventh IEEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks

                     March 26-29, 1995

                Hawk's Cay Resort and Marina
                     Marathon, Florida

        Sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society

    Local and metropolitan area networks are currently the forging
    place for new network technologies, broadband services, and
    multimedia applications. The purpose of the present workshop
    is to examine the new local ATM technologies, cable and other
    public multimedia delivery systems, various networking
    architectures, and the provisioning of networks for the support
    of broadband multimedia services for businesses and homes.
    
    A main theme of this year's Workshop is public and private ATM
    networks: differences and seams.
    
    A prominent feature of this Workshop is its emphasis on short,
    pointed presentations with ample opportunities for debate and
    discussion.  Controversy is encouraged.

    Attendance is very limited, so early registration is strongly advised.

    The Workshop will be held a week before IEEE INFOCOM'95
    which will be in Boston from April 2 to 6, 1995.
    
    The Workshop will begin with an evening reception on March 26.
    Technical sessions will begin Monday morning March 27 and conclude
    around lunchtime on March 29.  The program and registration forms
    follow below.

     Workshop Committee
     ------------------

Chair:              Yoram Ofek (IBM Watson Research)
                    e-mail: [email-masked]
                    phone: 1-914-784-7085 fax: 1-914-784-6205

Program co-chairs:  Daniel Pitt (Hewlett-Packard Laboratories)
		    Markus Burak (GMD FOKUS)
                    
Committee:          Anthony Acampora (Columbia University)
                    Andres Albanese (ICSI)
                    Joseph Bannister (The Aerospace Corporation)
                    James Field (University of Waterloo)
                    Luigi Fratta (Politecnico di Milano)
                    Mario Gerla (UCLA)
                    Wolfram Lemppenau (IBM Zurich Research)
                    Luciano Lenzini (CNR-CNUCE)
                    Gottfried Luderer (Arizona State University)
                    Fabio Neri (Politecnico di Torino)
                    Allyn Romanow (Sun Microsystems)
                    Izhak Rubin (UCLA)
                    David Skellern (Macquarie University, Sydney)
                    Tatsuya Suda (University of California, Irvine)
                    Csaba Szabo (Technical University of Budapest)
                    Yutaka Takahashi (Kyoto University)
                    Nguyen Tat (MATRA)
                    Fouad Tobagi (Stanford University)
                    Terry Todd (McMaster University)
                    Pitro Zafiropulo (IBM Zurich Research)

==============================================================================
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

          7th IEEE LAN/MAN Workshop Program         

Keynote Speaker
---------------
Howard Salwen, Chairman, Proteon, on how we ended up here and what comes next

----------
Session 1:  Medium Access Controls

-"A Full-duplex Ring with a Fairness Cycle Window," T.-J. Kim, ETRI,
Korea; B.-C. Shin, Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology,
Korea

-"Pros and Cons of the Global Fairness Algorithms of CRMA-II," M.
Ajmone-Marsan, C. Casetti, F. Neri, Politecnico di Torino, Italy

-"The MetaRing MAC Protocol: Performance Evaluations in an
Interconnected Environment," G. Anastasi, L. Lenzini, Universita di
Pisa, Italy

-"A Distributed Cycle Reset Protocol for High-Speed LAN/MAN," H.-B.
Jeon, S.-H. Lee, S.-Y. Song, TNRL, Korea Telecom, Korea

-"Prototype of an ATM-Based MAN for Multimedia Services," S.-M. Jiang,
G. Pujolle, Universite de Versailles, France

-"DQCA: A New Medium Access Control Protocol for Broadband Networks,"
W. Lu, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Malaysia

----------
Session 2: New Legacy LANs, Traffic Characterization, and
Connectionless ATM

-"Message Waiting Times in a LAN Using the Demand-Priority Access
Method," W. Seah, Y. Takahashi, T. Hasegawa, Kyoto University, Japan

-"Interactive Real-Time Communication in Shared-Medium High-Speed
LANs," P. Martini, J. Ottensmeyer, Universitaet Paderborn, Germany

-"Testing Bursty Traffic in an ATM Testbed," L. Cheng, H. D. Hughes,
Michigan State University, USA

-"On the Self-Similar Nature of the Traffic Offered to a MAN," M.
Cinotti, S. Giordano, F. Romani, F. Russo, Universita di Pisa, Italy

-"On Long-Range Dependence in NSFNET Traffic," S. Klivansky, A.
Mukherjee, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA; C. Song, Advantis,
USA

-"Connectionless Traffic Service in ATM Networks," S. Subramaniam, A.
Somani, University of Washington, USA

-"Partial Connections Method for the Support of Ethernet Emulation
over ATM," R. Brown, J. Pihlaja, Nokia, Finland; N. Kavak, Telia
Research, Sweden; A. Meier, IBM, Switzerland

----------
Session 3:  Multicasting and Convergence Protocols

-"ACBT: A Scalable Routing Protocol for Receiver-Initiated
Multicasting in ATM Networks," F.-C. Liaw, FORE Systems, USA

-"Providing Protocol Support for Multimedia Broadcasting," S. Beocking,
Siemens AG, Germany; R. Schatzmayr, TU-Berlin, Germany

-"ATM Adaptation Layer and Group Communication Servers for
High-Performance Multipoint Services," G. Carle, Universitaet
Karlsruhe, Germany

-"An Experimental AAL2 Protocol," D. Brooks, S. Srinidhi, Sterling
Software, USA; V. Konangi, Cleveland State University, USA

-"A Cooperative Protocol Stack Supporting High-Priority Traffic in an
ATM Network," E. Klovning, Telenor Research, Norway

-"An Object-Oriented Framework for ATM Interworking and Call Control
Software," A. Scheidegger, University of Washington, USA

----------
Session 4:  ATM Experience and Video Transport

-"BATES - BERKOM ATM Technology Evaluation System," D. Elias,
GMD-Fokus, Germany

-"The Art of ATM Testing," F. Schulz, J. Micheel, M. Burak, GMD-Fokus,
Germany

-"Operational Experiences with Fast Packet Technologies in the
Internet Environment," P. Mohta, CERFnet, USA

-"Continuous Media Dissemination over ATM Networks," G. Polyzos,
University of California at San Diego, USA

-"Video Transmission over Lossy Packet Networks," A. Albanese,
International Computer Science Institute, USA

-"Analysis and Modeling of an MPEG-1 Video Source," M. Conti, E.
Gregori, A. Larsson, CNR - Istituto CNUCE, Italy

-"Adaptive Neural Video Compression," C. Cramer, E. Gelenbe, P.
Gelenbe, M. Sungur, Duke University, USA

----------
Session 5:  Traffic Management

-"A Bandwidth Allocation Scheme to Support Delay Sensitive Traffic in
a DQDB MAN," J. Vozmediano, Universidad de Sevilla, Spain;  E. Vazquez, 
J. Berrocal, Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, Spain

-"Scheduling and Admission Control Policies: A Case Study for DQDB and
ATM," K. Steenhaut, K. Degieter, W. Brissinck, Vrije Universiteit
Brussel, Belgium

-"Performance Evaluation of Rate Control in ATM Networks," P. Tse, M.
Zukerman, Telstra Research Laboratories, Australia

-"Best-Effort Statistical Multiplexing of Delay-Tolerant Links in
ATM," M. Mateescu, GMD-Fokus, Germany

-"A Comparison of Per-VC Queueing and Explicit Rate Algorithms for ABR
Traffic," R. Krishnan, Motorola, USA

-"MULTIRING, a Possible Post-ATM Network Architecture," W. Dobosiewicz,
Monmouth College, USA; P. Gburzynski, University of Alberta, Canada

----------
Session 6:  Traffic Control and Quality of Service Provision

-"An Adaptive Multi-Service Generic Flow Control Protocol," J.
Macharia, Jomo Kenyata University, Kenya; L.-J. Yao, University of 
Adelaide, Australia

-"Packet or Cell Loss Reduction in Networks," V. Srinivasan, E.
Gelenbe, A. Ghanwani, Duke University, USA

-"Provision of Time-Constrained Services in ATM Networks," G.
Mercankosk, Curtin University of Technology, Australia

-"QoS Management for Service Integrated Communication Systems," C. Schmidt,
M. Zitterbart, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Germany

-"QoS Management in a Mobile Multimedia Environment," P. Ray, S. Jha,
A. Seneviratne, University of Technology-Sydney, Australia

-"A Simple Method for Evaluating QoS Parameters," J.-H. Lin, J.-L.
Chen, Industrial Technology Research Institute, Taiwan ROC;
J. Biswas, Institute of Systems Science, Singapore.

-"Architectural Factors in the Provision of Services by Broadband
Customer Premises Equipment," M. Hogan, R. Keaney, E. Wilson, M. Hudson,
M. Bickerstaff, D. Skellern, M. Krischer, Macquarie University, Australia

----------
Session 7:  Switching Architecture

-"CellBus: A Flexible Architecture for ATM LANs," D. Upp, P. Goli,
TranSwitch, USA; S. Ghosh, J. Hammond, Clemson University, USA

-"A Fast Algorithm for Scheduling Cells in Input-Queued Switches," N.
McKeown, Stanford University, USA; J. Walrand, Univesity of California 
at Berkeley, USA

-"A Multicasting Switch for ATM LAN/MAN," S. Shyamsukha, A. Monster, Temple
University, USA

-"Modular VLSI Implementation Architecture for High-Performance
Communication Support," J. Schiller, M. Zitterbart, Universitaet 
Karlsruhe, Germany

-"Performance of Multi-Channel Asymmetric Packet Switch Modules in a
Bursty and Nonuniform Traffic Environment," A. Chatterjee, V. Konangi,
Cleveland State University, USA

-"Analysis of a Class of Telecommunication Models," H. Gail, S.
Hantler, IBM, USA; A. Konheim, University of California at Santa
Barbara, USA; B. Taylor, University of Michigan, USA

----------
Session 8:  Network Organization

-"Distributed ATM Switching System for Corporate Communication
Networks," R. Hamidi, J.-P. Quinquis, CNET, France

-"Virtual Networking in ATM LANs and MANs," M. Gerla, S. Fotedar,
University of California at Los Angeles, USA; P. Crocetti, Italtel,
Italy; L. Fratta, Politecnico di Milano, Italy

-"Migrating to ATM in the Local Area," V. Friesen, J. Wong, University
of Waterloo, Canada

-"The Metropolitan Area Community Network," C. Venkatraman, D. Pitt,
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, USA

-"A MAN Architecture based on a Meshed Network Crossconnect," T.
Kuehnel, G. Luderer, Arizona State University, USA

-"Ring Networks with Random Extra Links," M. Kovacevic, A. Acampora,
Columbia University, USA

-"Virtual Embeddings for Linearization of Arbitrary Topology
Networks," B. Yener, M. Yung, IBM, USA

----------
Session 9:  Optical Networking

-"The Use of Wavelength-Selective Couplers in Optical Local Area
Networks," T. Todd, A. Grah, O. Barkovic, McMaster University, Canada

-"Optical Latency Storage - Unifying Data Communication in Space and
Time," T. Pfeifer, Technische Universitaet Berlin, Germany

-"A Scalable Optical Packet Switching Network Architecture," I.
Chlamtac, University of Massachusetts, USA; V. Elek, C. Szabo,
Technical University of Budapest, Hungary; A. Fumagalli, Politecnico
di Torino, Italy

-"An Adaptable Protocol for Processor Interconnection in a WDM-based
Network," P. Dowd, D. Crouse, State University of New York at Buffalo,
USA

-"ISONet: A Dynamically Reconfigurable Integrated Services Optical
Network," T. Bujewski, The Aerospace Corporation, USA; M. Gerla,
University of California at Los Angeles, USA

-"Implementing the DQDB using Wavelength Division Multiplexing," A.
Kamal, H. Hassanein, Kuwait University, Kuwait

-----------
Session 10:  Technologies for High Performance, and Wireless ATM

-"Using ATM Networks Effectively for High-Performance Applications,"
A. Guha, W. Franta, Network Systems Corporation, USA

-"Affordable High Performance Computing: Evaluation of Cluster-based
Computing via ATM," P. Dowd, E. Blade, State University of New York at
Buffalo, USA; S. Srinidhi, Sterling Software, USA; R. Claus, NASA
Lewis Research Center, USA

-"Slack-Protocol Design and Performance in Wormhole-Routing Networks,"
J. Bannister, The Aerospace Corporation, USA; M. Gerla, S. Walton,
University of California at Los Angeles, USA

-"Fair Cascades of Fibre Channel Switches," L. Cherkasova, V. Kotov,
T. Rokicki, Hewlett-Packard Laboratories, USA

-"Cut-Through Routing in Intermediate Systems," O. Riebe, Humboldt
Universitaet zu Berlin, Germany

-"ATM Transport and GSM Circuit and Packet Mode Access Networks:
A Platform for Mobile Multimediea of the Immediate Future," S.
Chakraborty, Helsinki University of Technology, Finland

-"Signaling and Mobility Management in a Wireless ATM LAN," M.
Veeraraghavan, M. Karol, AT&T Bell Laboratories, USA

=============================================================================

-------------------------------------------------------------------

    7th IEEE Workshop on Local and Metropolitan Area Networks
                    REGISTRATION FORM

Name: _______________________________

Company/Affiliation: _________________________________

Address: ____________________________________

         ____________________________________

Tel.: ____________________

Fax.: ___________________

E_Mail: _________________

___ $100 enclosed
    in personal check or money order payable to "IEEE WORKSHOP 94"
 Mail the check to:
 ------------------
    Yoram Ofek
    Workshop Chair
    IBM T. J. Watson Research Center
    P.O.Box 704
    Yorktown Heights, NY 10598

    e-mail: ofek at watson.ibm.com
    Telephone: (914) 784-7085    FAX: (914) 784-6205

 Participants from outside the US,
 --------------------------------
    can send the 100 Dollar registration via
    INTERNATIONAL CABLE (money transfer) directly
    ---------------------------------------------
    to the workshop account:
    ------------------------
    * Routing # 021 000 128
    * For Credit to account # 258 500 172 465
    * "IEEE 95 WORKSHOP"
    * Chemical Bank
    * 324 Saw Mill River Rd.
    * Elmsford, NY 10523, U.S.A.

=====================================================================

        HAWK'S CAY RESORT AND MARINA

            REGISTRATION FORM

                 FOR

    7th IEEE WORKSHOP on LOCAL and Metropolitan Area Networks

             March 26, 1995  - March 29, 1995

Arrival Date ...........  Arrival Time .......   Departure Date ......

(List early arrival/late departure dates, if applicable)

    (GROUP RATES MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE TO EARLY ARRIVALS/LATE DEPARTURES)

NAME .......................     SIGNATURE ...........

COMPANY ...................      PHONE# ..............

ADDRESS ............................................

CITY .............    STATE ........... ZIP .......

CREDIT CARD TYPE (Circle One)     MC	VISA   DISCOVER   DINERS   AMEX

CREDIT CARD# .....................    EXPIRATION DATE .............

NAME ON CARD .....................    SIGNATURE ...................

# OF GUESTS IN ROOM (Ages if Children) ...........................
Children 11 and under are free, extra person charge $25.00 per night.

     Children ages 4-11 can attend the group dinners
     for a non-refundable charge of $50,00 per child.

     Will children be attending group dinners? ____ Yes   ____ No
     Number of Children attending ............. Ages ............

Smoking ................. Non-smoking .........
(Accommodations in each category are limited. We will make every effort
to honor your request, however, it cannot be guaranteed)

ACCOMMODATIONS: Package Rates for 3 nights/4 days
                  $636,00 per person, based on a single occupancy
                  $383,00 per person, based on double occupancy

Additional nights are available at $160.00 per room, per night, plus
tax single or double occupancy, including breakfast.

Refunds will not be made on any portion of the IEEE three night package.

Check in time is 3:00 pm/Check out time is 11:00am.

INCLUDED IN RATES:

* Three nights accommodations (March 26-28 nights), inclusive of tax
* Lavish Breakfast Buffet on March 27-29, 1995
* Dinners on March 27 and 28, 1995
* Wine and Cheese Reception, March 26, 1995
* Coffee Breaks during the workshop
* Morning Newspaper
* Transportation to/from Marathon Airport (24 hour notice needed)
* Nightly Turndown Service
* All gratuities, housekeeper, bellman, breakfast and banquet server
* All applicable taxes to the above features
* Dolphin training sessions (three times daily)

___ Please check here if you require vegetarian meals at the group dinners.
    Number of people ___

REGISTRATION FORMS MUST BE COMPLETED AND RETURNED TO:

Reservations Department            OR FAX TO: Reservations Department
Hawk's Cay Resort and Marina                  (305) 743-5215
Mile Marker 61, Duck Key
Marathon, FL 33050

1-(800)-432-2242

   COMPLETE ONE FORM FOR EACH ROOM NEEDED - A CONFIRMATION WILL BE MAILED
   ENTIRE PACKAGE PRICE WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE CHARGED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD

   CANCELLATION POLICY IS THIRTY DAYS PRIOR TO ARRIVAL
   CANCELLATION WITHIN THIRTY DAYS WILL RESULT IN FORFEITURE OF DEPOSIT.

   ** RESERVATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY FEBRUARY 26, 1995 TO GUARANTEE YOUR ROOM  **
   ** AND TO GUARANTEE THE GROUP RATE FOR YOUR ROOM**
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



     HAWK'S CAY RESORT AND MARINA

     Duck Key, Marathon, Florida.

GROUND TRANSPORTATION
---------------------

Rental Cars:
-----------

Budget Rent a Car          Avis Rent a Car            General Rent a Car
Marathon Airport, FL       Marathon Airport, FL       Marathon, FL
305-743-3998               305-743-5428               800-327-7607
800-527-0700               305-377-2531 (Miami)

Motor Coach
-----------
A-1 Bus lines           Miami Bus & Limo     American Meetings and Conventions
Miami, FL               Miami, FL            Miami Lakes, FL
305-325-1000            305-633-3377         305-621-4181
800-826-6754

Go Tours                Grayline Bus Company
Marathon, FL            Miami, FL
305-743-9876            305-587-8080

Car Services
------------

Ambassador Limo Service      Island Taxi           Paradise to Reality & Back
Miami, FL                    Marathon, FL          Miami, FL
305-931-3111                 305-743-6004          305-852-4656
800-245-4667

Miami Airport to Hawk's Cay Resort and Marina
---------------------------------------------

Miami International Airport to 836 West until you reach the Florida Turnpike.
Stay South on the Turnpike until it ends at US-1. Continue South
on US-1 to Mile Marker 61 - Hawk's Cay Resort and Marina !!

The drive from Miami International Airport
to Hawks' Cay Resort is an hour and forty five minutes.
It is a beautiful drive, and is described by Rand-McNally as one of the most
scenic drives in the United States, "where the sky and the ocean meet".

HAWK's CAY RESORT PROVIDES COMPLIMENTARY TRANSPORTATION
TO AND FROM THE MARATHON AIRPORT (please give 24 hours notice).

American Airlines                   800-433-7300
USAir                               800-428-4322
Gulfstream International Airlines   800-992-8532

With expansion of the Marathon Airport (scheduled for
completion November 1994), the capacity
and number of flights will increase.

Date: 19 Jan 1995 09:11:34 U
From: "Sandy McCrady" <[email-masked]>
Subject: RE- client/server image sof
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Content-Length: 432

        Reply to:   RE: client/server image software

Anyone know any good client/server (UNIX) existing software or something that
could easily be modified that does image/rastor/TIF manipulation (view/zoom,
pan, move around on the screen, print). Need some sort of button/menu control
so it can talk on the back end to a pgm that talks to an ORACLE data base.
(Windows should be MOTIF and maybe use DCE/Encina.)

Any good ideas?

To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Subject: Infocom'95
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 95 09:34:33 +0100
Sender: [email-masked]
Content-Length: 6

help

To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Infocom'95 Conference Program and Registration
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 95 19:09:30 +0100
From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Content-Length: 1074

Infocom'95 --- Bringing Information to People

Information about Infocom'95, the Fourteenth Annual Joint Conference
of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies is available through
the World Wide Web at

http://www.research.att.com/~hgs/infocom95/program.html

Infocom'95 takes place in Boston, April 2 - 6, 1995.  Roughly 160
papers selected from 450 submissions will be presented, as well as
panels on satellite communication and resource reservations.  The
keynote speaker will be Sandy Fraser, AT&T, with a historical
perspective on the information revolution.  The conference opens with
tutorials on integrated service high speed networks (Robert Gallager),
broadband networks and ATM (Anthony Acampora), protocol design (Dave
Clark), wireless personal communications (David Goodman), and the
World Wide Web (David Tennenhouse and others).

----
Henning Schulzrinne    email: [email-masked]
GMD-Fokus              phone: +49 30 25499 182
Hardenbergplatz 2      fax:   +49 30 25499 202
D-10623 Berlin         WWW:   http://www.fokus.gmd.de/htbin/info/minos/hgs