Subject: [tcpm] TCPM Design Team: TCP MD5

From: Ted Faber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 17:45:21 -0800

As we discussed at the IETF in San Diego in November, TCPM has commissioned a
design team to address the TCP issues in extending the MD5 transport encryption
described in RFC 2385.

That team is headed by Steve Bellovin and includes authors of both competing
drafts as well as others from the security and transport communities.

It has recently begun work that will result in a draft to be
considered in TCPM.  We expect this work to be done before the Chicago
IETF.

-- 
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc
Unexpected attachment on this mail? See http://www.isi.edu/~faber/FAQ.html#SIG
_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: "Anantha Ramaiah \(ananth\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 18:25:31 -0800

Ted,
   Like I mentioned to you last time I am one of the "stakeholders" in
this effort. I have been a active contributor in this area and I am in
the co-author/contributor position in some of the drafts (some drafts
have expired). I have also spoken to Steve and we exchanged some notes,
although I haven't actively followed after that. 
   Is there an mailing alias formed for this effort, I would like to be
part of that and contribute my experiences in this area.
Thanks,
Anantha

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Ted Faber [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 5:45 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: [tcpm] TCPM Design Team: TCP MD5
> 
> 
> As we discussed at the IETF in San Diego in November, TCPM 
> has commissioned a design team to address the TCP issues in 
> extending the MD5 transport encryption described in RFC 2385.
> 
> That team is headed by Steve Bellovin and includes authors of 
> both competing drafts as well as others from the security and 
> transport communities.
> 
> considered in TCPM.  We expect this work to be done before 
> the Chicago IETF.
> 
> 
> --
> Ted Faber

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:43:13 -0500

Anantha and I iterated off-list.  But, just so there is no confusion....

>    Is there an mailing alias formed for this effort, 

The team has a mailing list.  The mailing list is not public and we are
not accepting new members for the team.  There are many many people who
would have been very good choices for this team, but we tried to keep
the team small such that work could proceed easily.

To be very clear, we believe the community's consensus is that TCPM
should take on this tcp-auth task.  There are two different competing
drafts in this space.  Despite everyone's best efforts we could not find
a path to merge these easily.  So, as discussed at the last IETF
meeting, we have formed this design team to develop a -00 draft for the
WG to consider.  After that, the process will run in an open fashion on
the main WG mailing list, as all other WG business is conducted.  The
design team is developing a **starting point** not the **final version**
of the spec.

allman