Subject: [tcpm] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 15:50:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: TCP SYN Flooding Attacks and Common Mitigations
	Author(s)	: W. Eddy
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt
	Pages		: 23
	Date		: 2007-3-8
	
This document describes TCP SYN flooding attacks, which have been
   well-known to the community for several years.  Various
   countermeasures against these attacks, and the trade-offs of each,
   are described.  This document archives explanations of the attack and
   common defense techniques for the benefit of TCP implementers and
   administrators of TCP servers or networks.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of 
the message. 
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the 
username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After 
logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then 
"get draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm

---

From: Wesley Eddy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:40:26 -0500

>    administrators of TCP servers or networks.

This update includes a number of fairly minor grammatical tweaks and
wording clarifications suggested by Alfred Hoenes, Mark Allman, and Ted
Faber.  A paragraph on SYNs that carry data (e.g. as used in T/TCP) was
added with some measurment data showing how uncommon this is.  There
is a colorized diff online at:
http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tcpm/draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood/draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02-from-01.wdiff.html

I noticed that I need to fix the entry for [All07] in the references,
but that can be done after the WGLC that I think it's ready for since
all the diffs were quite minor and the reviews have been largely
positive.

-- 
Wesley M. Eddy
Verizon Federal Network Systems

---

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 15:12:24 -0500

> > 	Filename	: draft-ietf-tcpm-syn-flood-02.txt

Folks-

Our intention is to WGLC this document immediately after the Prague
IETF.  If you have comments or think we are mistaken in believing this
is the right next step please yell.

Thanks,
allman