Subject: [tcpm] draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-02.txt

From: Sally Floyd <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:14:23 -0800

An updated version of:
   Adding Acknowledgement Congestion Control to TCP,
   draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-02.txt,
is available at:
   "http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-02".

This version (from November 18) includes the following changes:

    Changes from draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-01.txt:

    * Added a section on "Keep-alive Packets".  From a question
      raised in the working group.

    * Added a section on "Possible Complication: TCP Implementations that
      Skip ACK Packets".  Motivated by reports at IETF that many
      high-bandwidth TCPs don't follow the MUST of sending an ACK for
      every other packet, if they don't have time.

    * Added that receivers might have buffer limitations that require
      that they ack at least every K packets, for some K.  Feedback
      from Sara Landstrom.

    * Added to the discussion of "Possible Complication: Two-Way
      Traffic".  Feedback from Sara Landstrom.

    * Added a section on "Possible Complication: Router or
      Middlebox-based ACK Mechanisms".   Feedback from Sara Landstrom.

    * Added that SACK is required with ACK congestion control.
      Feedback from Sara Landstrom.

    * Added a discussion of "Reducing the TCP Acknowledgment Frequency"
      to the related work section.

    * Moved the Related Work section to the appendix.
      Feedback from Alfred Henes.

    * General editing from feedback from Alfred Hoenes.

    * Added an appendix on "Design Considerations", with a subsection
      on "The TCP ACK Ratio Option, or an AckNow bit in data packets?".

A newer version, not yet submitted, is also available from:
   "http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-03a.txt" and
   "http://www.icir.org/floyd/papers/draft-floyd-tcpm-ackcc-03a.ps",
with some general editing from feedback from Alfred Hoenes.

Feedback would be appreciated.  The ACK Congestion Control mechanism
is pretty much specified, but is in need of simulations and such before
it is ready for a more complete evaluation.

- Sally
http://www.icir.org/floyd/

_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm