Subject: [tcpm] New ID: draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt

From: Michael Scharf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2008 08:59:30 +0200

Hi all,

this draft addresses some specific issues of the TCP flow control that
can arise if the congestion control does not use the Slow-Start,
e. g., by using the Quick-Start TCP extension (RFC 4782).

An earlier version of this draft has been submitted to TSVWG, and
resulted in an errata to RFC 4782:
  
  http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=4782

But since the underlying problem is not specific to Quick-Start and
could also arise in other "Faster-Than-Slow-Start" schemes, there has
been some feedback from TSVWG that TCPM might be a better place to
discuss this draft. Please note that there are some ongoing
discussions in ICCRG how "Faster-Than-Slow-Start" schemes other than
Quick-Start could be realized. This draft is relevant in this context.

Any comments would be welcome.

Michael

----- Forwarded message from [email-masked] -----

From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt 
Date: Mon,  7 Jul 2008 06:30:02 -0700 (PDT)
Precedence: list
Reply-To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title           : TCP Flow Control for Fast Startup Schemes
	Author(s)       : M. Scharf, et al.
	Filename        : draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2008-07-07

This document describes extensions for the flow control of the
Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) that avoid interactions with fast
startup congestion control mechanisms, in particular the Quick-Start
TCP extension.  Quick-Start is an optional TCP extension that allows
to start data transfers with a large congestion window, using
feedback of the routers along the path.  This can avoid the time
consuming Slow-Start, provided that the TCP flow control is not a
limiting factor.
There are two potential interactions between the TCP flow control and
congestion control schemes without the standard Slow-Start: First,
receivers might not allocate a sufficiently large buffer space after
connection setup, or they may advertise a receive window implicitly
assuming the Slow-Start behavior on the sender side.  This document
therefore provides guidelines for buffer allocation in hosts
supporting the Quick-Start extension.  Second, the TCP receive window
scaling mechanism can prevent fast startups immediately after the
initial three-way handshake connection setup.  This document
describes a simple solution to overcome this problem.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-scharf-tcpm-flow-control-quick-start-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

----- End forwarded message -----
_______________________________________________
tcpm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tcpm