Subject: [tcpm] Document Action: 'TCP Fast Open' to Experimental RFC (draft-ietf-tcpm-fastopen-10.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:35:57 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'TCP Fast Open'
  (draft-ietf-tcpm-fastopen-10.txt) as Experimental RFC

This document is the product of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Martin Stiemerling and Spencer Dawkins.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-fastopen/

Technical Summary

   This document describes an experimental TCP mechanism TCP Fast Open
   (TFO). TFO allows data to be carried in the SYN and SYN-ACK packets
   and consumed by the receiving end during the initial connection
   handshake, thus saving up to one full round trip time (RTT)
   compared to the standard TCP, which requires a three-way handshake
   (3WHS) to complete before data can be exchanged. However TFO
   deviates from the standard TCP semantics since the data in the SYN
   could be replayed to an application in some rare
   circumstances. Applications should not use TFO unless they can
   tolerate this issue detailed in the Applicability section.

Working Group Summary

  This document was extensively discussed and reviewed by the TCPM
  working group and there is strong support to publish the
  document. While being an experimental document, the TCPM working
  group decided to ask IESG for approving an IANA allocation of a new
  TCP option codepoint.

Document Quality

  The protocol extension described in this document is implemented and
  deployed in the Linux TCP/IP stack, and it is supported by the Chrome
  Web browser and all Google servers. Experimental results have been
  discussed in the TCPM working group. An early SECDIR review 
  concluded that the document had no substantive issues.

Personnel

  The Document Shepherd is Michael Scharf
  <[email-masked]>. The Responsible Area Director
  is Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>.