Subject: [tcpm] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC6093 (4312)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2015 16:08:55 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC6093,
"On the Implementation of the TCP Urgent Mechanism".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6093&eid=4312

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Justin Yirka <[email-masked]>

Section: 3.1

Original Text
-------------
Unfortunately, virtually all TCP implementations process TCP urgent
indications differently.  By default, the last byte of "urgent data"
is delivered "out of band" to the application.  That is, it is not
delivered as part of the normal data stream [UNPv1].  For example,
the "out-of-band" byte is read by an application when a recv(2)
system call with the MSG_OOB flag set is issued.

Corrected Text
--------------
Unfortunately, virtually all TCP implementations process TCP urgent
indications differently.

For example, by default in particular UNIX implementations, the last
byte of "urgent data" is delivered "out of band" to the application.
That is, it is not delivered as part of the normal data stream [UNPv1].
For example, the "out-of-band" byte is read by an application when a
recv(2) system call with the MSG_OOB flag set is issued.

Notes
-----
The first and latter statements are contradictory, as a default is unlikely to apply when "virtually all" implementations process differently.
This correction to include "in particular UNIX implementations" would be appropriate at many points throughout the document in order to differentiate references to implementation specific features and terminology from references to terminology established in prior RFCs.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC6093 (draft-ietf-tcpm-urgent-data-07)
--------------------------------------
Title               : On the Implementation of the TCP Urgent Mechanism
Publication Date    : January 2011
Author(s)           : F. Gont, A. Yourtchenko
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions
Area                : Transport
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG