Subject: [tcpm] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08.txt> (TCP and SCTP RTO Restart) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 08:58:10 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the TCP Maintenance and Minor
Extensions WG (tcpm) to consider the following document:
- 'TCP and SCTP RTO Restart'
  <draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart-08.txt> as Experimental RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2015-10-08. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document describes a modified sender-side algorithm for managing
   the TCP and SCTP retransmission timers that provides faster loss
   recovery when there is a small amount of outstanding data for a
   connection.  The modification, RTO Restart (RTOR), allows the
   transport to restart its retransmission timer so that the effective
   RTO becomes more aggressive in situations where fast retransmit
   cannot be used.  This enables faster loss detection and recovery for
   connections that are short-lived or application-limited.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-rtorestart/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.