Subject: Re: Network Simulation Tools

From: Mark Allman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:26:54 -0500

> I need to run some experiments / simulations with TCP/IP in a LEO
> Satellite environment. My special interest is on how the different
> TCP flavors behave in the context of time-varying round trip
> delays.
> 
> I am planing to use the NS Network Simulator (ns2) for my trials
> and would like to ask if any of you has a suggestion about other
> simulator I should considder or (even better) has a pointer to
> previous work by some one else.

A flog...  Picking a simulator or testing method is often a complex
question.  Aaron Falk and I offer up some things to think about when
picking a software simulator in the following paper...

    Mark Allman, Aaron Falk. On the Effective Evaluation of TCP. ACM
    Computer Communication Review, 29(5), October 1999. 
    http://roland.grc.nasa.gov/~mallman/papers/tcp-evaluation.ps

Enjoy!

allman

---

From: mukul goyal <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 11:58:05 -0500 (EST)

I have done some simulations on exactly the same topic. But we used
ATM-UBR below TCP/IP. Please see

http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~jain/atmf/a98-0876.htm

Thanks,
Mukul