Subject: Asymmetric Satellite Links - Terrestrial Extension

From: "Mike Holdsworth" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 15:24:47 -0000

Hello All,

Just been speccing some kit of ours for extending Asymmetric Satellite
connections. I'm not sure of the terminology to use in an Application Note i
am putting together and was hoping maybe someone could help me. I am more
knowledgable about the Data side of things than Satellite and apologise in
advance for being doh!!! It is friday after all and I have had only 1 coffee
today.

Basically we are taking either HSSI or BNC from the Satellite
Modulator/Demodulator and plugging it into our kit. We then transport the
traffic across a leased line, submarine cable, wireless or Dark Fibre. At
the far end we connect into a HSSI Interface on a router (or ATM Switch
depending on network topology). This is mainly for IP over Satellite 8Mbits
transmit 34Mbits receive, etc.

What is the correct terminology for:-

(a) When you would use this to connect from a New York Internet Node to
London via submarine cable and then have an uplink from London Earthstation
to African Earthstation.

(b) When you have a Satellite Link from London Earthstation to African
Earthstation with Leased Line from African Earthstation across a town to
Customer Site.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Mike
~~~~
Mike Holdsworth - WAN Applications Engineer, Metrodata Ltd.
Mailto: [email-masked]
Tel: +44 (0)1784 744 815
Mob: +44 (0)7887 983 374
---------------------------------------------
http://www.metrodata.co.uk

---

From: Jon Mansey <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 09:28:43 -0800

Mike,

The generic terms for both these cases is hybrid fiber/satellite 
circuits or hybrid fiber/cable or HFC.

As an aside, does your customer have service already or is he looking 
for a service provider. We are the worlds largest satellite IP 
delivery service and can offer high speed service all over Africa 
from our uplinks in New York or London.

Let me know if we can be of any assistance.

Jon.

>Mailto: [email-masked]

[email-masked]                          Chief Science Officer
------------------------------------------------------------------
  "Low-cost & high-speed access to the US Internet via Satellite"
InterPacket Group, Inc.                 http://www.interpacket.net
1901 Main St.                                   tel (310) 382 3300
Santa Monica, California 90405                  fax (310) 382 3310
------------------------------------------------------------------

"Unix IS user friendly...It's just selective about who its friends are."