Subject: Information about VSATs

From: "Testasecca, Mariano" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 16:33:48 -0300

Could anybody facilitate me information of any kind about VSAT´s?
Thanks abroad!

Mariano Testasecca
SIEMENS S.A.
División Electromedicina
Servicios de Salud - SHS
Bolivar 177 1º Piso
*+54-11-4340-8400 int. 2796
* mailto:[email-masked]

---

From: Dr G Fairhurst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2000 17:32:51 +0100

> Could anybody facilitate me information of any kind about VSAT´s?

I believe the mailing list is to deal with understanding issues and
suggesting optimizations.

However, I enclose a short bibliography on the TCP/IP Issues via VSAT,
which may be of use for those
joining the group more recently...

Gorry Fairhurst.
--------------------------------------

Internet Engineering Task Force TCP Over Satellite WG
http://tcpsat.grc.nasa.gov/tcpsat/

--------------------------------------

1. Stevens, W. R., 1997, TCP Slow Start, Congestion Avoidance, Fast
Retransmit and Fast Recovery Algorithms,  RFC 2001, IETF.
2. Kirstein, P. T., et al., 1979, SATNET Applications Activities, Nat.
Telecom. Conf., IEEE.
3. Ghani, N. and Dixit, S., 1999, TCP/IP Enhancements for Satellite
Networks, IEEE Com. Mag., 37 (7): 64-72.
4. Xylomenos, G. and Polyzos, G. C., 1999, Internet Protocol Performance
over Networks with Wireless Links, IEEE Network, 13 (4): 55-63.
5. Allman, M., et al., 1999, Enhancing TCP Over Satellite Channels using
Standard Mechanisms,  RFC 2488, IETF.
6. Allman, M., et al., 1999, Internet Draft of TCPSAT WG : Ongoing TCP
Research Related to Satellites,  draft-ietf-tcpsat-res-issues, IETF.
7. Samaraweera, N. and Fairhurst, G., 1998, Reinforcement of TCP/IP
Error Recovery for Wireless Communications, Comp Com. Rev., 28 (2):
30-38. (Updated copy submitted to IEEE ToN).
8. Mathis, M., et al., 1996, TCP Selective Acknowledgment Options,  RFC
2018, IETF.
9. Allman, M., et al., 1999, TCP Congestion Control,  RFC 2581,  IETF
10. Saltzer, H. J., et al., 1984, End-to-End Arguments in Systems
Design, ACM Trans on Comp Systems, 2 (4): 277-288.
11. Karn, P., et al., 1999, Internet Draft of PILC WG : Advice for
Internet Subnetwork Designers,  draft-ietf-pilc-link-design.txt, IETF.

see also:
http://tcpsat.grc.nasa.gov/tcpsat/papers.html

--------------------------------------

VSATs Course: Small Terminal Satellite Communications Technology,
Applications & Opportunities

http://www.amp.york.ac.uk/dept/contedu/flyer/vsats.html

Annual 1-Week Course (27th - 31st March 2000), in the heart of the
historic City of York, UK.

SCOPE: Communications systems using Very Small Aperture Terminals
(VSATs) are expanding rapidly world-wide.
VSAT systems provide a wide variety of communications requirements and
offer considerable opportunities for
exploitation, especially Internet and multimedia services. The Course
gives a technical foundation for all those
entering this area,  coupled with an appreciation of the latest
developments, and aims to provide the tools and
understanding to deal with VSAT systems and their applications

--------------------------------------

Workshop on Satellite-Based Information Society (WOSBIS)

Annual Workshop sponsored by ACM Sigmobile and technical co-sponsored by
IEEE

--------------------------------------