Subject: nt server vs wkstn.. tcpsat performance

From: Graham Street <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 06:18:16 -0500

I've done a whole lot of testing over the last couple of weeks, and
incorporated alot of your suggestions... I've found some really strange
behavior with different versions of nt.

With NT 4 Workstation  (sp 5 or 6) we get 207k (consistently) and very little else, despite
window sizes, buffer sizes, etc.  Our Link udget is 16 megabits.

With NT 4 Server (sp 6) we get 2 megabits! consistently!

With NT Server 3.5.1 (sp5) we get 207k again.

With NT Server 3.5.1 (no service packs) we get 2 megabits again.

This makes me think something is screwed up in one of the sp's.  I tried taking
the 3.5.1 sp5 machine back to sp3 but it didn't solve the problem.  

Does anyone have a clue as to what the file(s) are that are causing this?

thanks,
Graham Street

[email-masked]

---

From: "Greg Otto" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:39:15 -0600

It most likely has to do with rather CIFS is using RAW or CORE mode for
transfers and what the blocks are.  This is dependent upon the SPx and NTx.
Have you put a sniffer on there to see what block sizes are being requested?

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of Graham Street
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2000 5:18 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: nt server vs wkstn.. tcpsat performance

With NT 4 Workstation  (sp 5 or 6) we get 207k (consistently) and very
little else, despite
window sizes, buffer sizes, etc.  Our Link udget is 16 megabits.

This makes me think something is screwed up in one of the sp's.  I tried
taking
the 3.5.1 sp5 machine back to sp3 but it didn't solve the problem.

thanks,
Graham Street

[email-masked]