Subject: Network Emulator - Open Source Code is available

From: William Ivancic <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:42:14 -0400

The Ohio Network Emulator (ONE) application is being made
available to outside researchers
in a open source format. The product will be supported internally,
and ideally, benefit from having the wider external distribution.

For additional information and to download the code:
http://irg.cs.ohiou.edu/one/

The ONE application is a network emulator that can be run on an off
the shelf computer workstation. ONE provides an inexpensive way to
perform the kinds of network emulation of interest in space network
research. Effects that would be otherwise difficult or impossible
to simulate (i.e. communication transit delays as seen by satellites
and spacecraft) can be studied in the lab as new protocols are
developed.

Other capabilities include: variable propagation delay,
Random Early Detection (RED), an active
queue management strategy that attempts to improve performance and
reduce the average queue length, and Bit Error Rate (BER) simulation
(the injection of simulated noise into the data stream). The design is
amenable to inclusion of other software controlled effects.

=======================================
Will Ivancic
NASA Glenn Research Center
21000 Brookpark Road    MS 54-5
Cleveland, Ohio  44135
Phone +1 (216)433-3494
Fax +1 (216) 433-8705
http://ctd.lerc.nasa.gov/5610/5610.html