Subject: [Teas] Document Action: 'Framework for Abstraction and Control of Traffic Engineered Networks' to Informational RFC (draft-ietf-teas-actn-framework-15.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2018 12:06:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Framework for Abstraction and Control of Traffic Engineered Networks'
  (draft-ietf-teas-actn-framework-15.txt) as Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and
Signaling Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Alvaro Retana, Martin Vigoureux and Deborah
Brungard.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-actn-framework/

Technical Summary

   Traffic Engineered networks have a variety of mechanisms to
   facilitate the separation of the data plane and control plane. They
   also have a range of management and provisioning protocols to
   configure and activate network resources. These mechanisms represent
   key technologies for enabling flexible and dynamic networking. The
   term "Traffic Engineered network" refers to a network that uses any
   connection-oriented technology under the control of a distributed or
   centralized control plane to support dynamic provisioning of end-to-
   end connectivity.

   Abstraction of network resources is a technique that can be applied
   to a single network domain or across multiple domains to create a
   single virtualized network that is under the control of a network
   operator or the customer of the operator that actually owns
   the network resources.

   This document provides a framework for Abstraction and Control of
   Traffic Engineered Networks (ACTN) to support virtual network
   services and connectivity services.

Working Group Summary

This is part of the initial set of ACTN documents worked on by the
WG. There was considerable debate at various stages of the WG process
on the terminology used in the document and on the various 
operations/functions that fit into the framework. The authors addressed 
all of these concerns by adding relevant text to the document.

Document Quality

 This document has been discussed and reviewed thoroughly by the WG.
While there have been no official statements on implementation of this 
new framework, the authors are from multiple vendors, and implementation 
is expected.

Personnel

   Who is the Document Shepherd for this document?  Vishnu Pavan Beeram
   Who is the Responsible Area Director?  Deborah Brungard