Subject: [Teas] WG Action: Rechartered Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling (teas)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 09:15:52 -0800

The Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling (teas) WG in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information, please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling (teas)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Current status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Vishnu Beeram <[email-masked]>
  Lou Berger <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Matt Hartley <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Directors:
  Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
  Deborah Brungard <[email-masked]>
  Martin Vigoureux <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Adrian Farrel <[email-masked]>

Mailing list:
  Address: [email-masked]
  To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/teas
  Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/teas/

Group page: https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/teas/

Charter: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-teas/

The Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling (TEAS)
Working Group is responsible for defining IP, MPLS and GMPLS
traffic engineering architecture and identifying required
related control-protocol functions, i.e., routing and path
computation element functions. The TEAS group is also
responsible for standardizing RSVP-TE signaling protocol
mechanisms that are not related to a specific switching
technology.

Traffic Engineering (TE) is the term used to refer to
techniques that enable operators to control how specific
traffic flows are treated within their networks. TE is
applied to packet networks via MPLS TE tunnels and LSPs, but
may also be provided by other mechanisms such as forwarding
rules similar to policy-based routing. The MPLS-TE control
plane was generalized to additionally support non-packet
technologies via GMPLS.  RSVP-TE is the signaling protocol
used for both MPLS-TE and GMPLS. Centralized and logically
centralized control models are also supported, e.g., via
Abstraction and Control of Traffic Engineered Networks (ACTN)
and stateful-PCE.

The TEAS WG is responsible for:

        a) Traffic-engineering architectures for generic
           applicability across packet and non-packet
           networks. This includes, for example, networks that
           perform centralized computation and control, distributed
           computation and control, or even a hybrid approach.

        b) Definition of protocol-independent metrics and
           parameters (measurement and/or service attributes) for
           describing links and tunnels/paths required for traffic
           engineering (and related routing, signaling and path
           computation). These will be developed in conjunction
           with requests and requirements from other WGs to ensure
           overall usefulness.

        c) Functional specification of extensions for routing
           (OSPF, ISIS) and for path computation (PCEP), including
           those that provide general enablers of
           traffic-engineering systems that may also use
           RSVP-TE. Protocol formats and procedures that embody
           these extensions will be done in coordination with the
           WGs supervising those protocols.

        d) Functional specification of generic (i.e., not data
           plane technology-specific) extensions for RSVP-TE, and
           the associated protocol formats and procedures that
           embody these extensions.

        e) Definition of control plane mechanisms and extensions to
           allow the setup and maintenance of TE paths and TE
           tunnels that span multiple domains and/or switching
           technologies, where a domain may be an IGP area, an
           Autonomous System, or any other region of topological
           visibility.

        f) Definition and extension of management and security
           techniques for TE path and tunnel control. This
           includes configuring and monitoring RSVP-TE as well as
           mechanisms used to configure, control, and report OAM
           within TE networks. YANG and MIB modules may be
           considered.

The TEAS working group is chartered to deliver the following:

        1. Definition of additional abstract service, link, and
           path properties such as jitter, delay, and
           diversity. Extensions to IGPs to advertise these
           properties, and extensions to RSVP-TE to request and to
           accumulate these properties. Work with PCE WG to include
           these properties in computation requests.

        2. Specification of terminology, architecture, and protocol
           requirements for abstraction and distribution of TE
           information between interconnected TE domains/layers.

        3. Specification and protocol extensions for a GMPLS
           External Network-to-Network Interface (E-NNI), i.e.,
           multi-domain GMPLS support.

        4. Protocol mechanisms to signal associated LSPs in
           particular with different source nodes.

        5. Requirements and protocol extensions for additional
           protection mechanisms including, for example, end-point
           protection, protection of P2MP LSPs, and inter-domain
           protection.

        6. YANG models in support of Traffic Engineering, in
           coordination with working groups working on YANG models
           for network topology and for technology-specific network
           attributes.

Requirements may be documented in stand-alone RFCs, may be
folded into architecture or solutions RFCs, may be recorded
on a wiki, or may be documented in an Internet-Draft that is
not progressed to RFC.

The TEAS WG will coordinate with the following working
groups:

        - With the MPLS WG to maintain and extend MPLS-TE protocol
          mechanisms and to determine whether they should be
          generalized.

        - With the CCAMP WG to maintain and extend non-packet, data
          plane technology-specific TE protocol mechanisms and to
          determine whether they should be generalized.

        - With the LSR (OSPF and ISIS) WG to maintain or extend TE
          routing mechanisms.

        - With the PCE WG on uses of a PCE in the
          traffic-engineering architecture, on PCE extensions per
          the above, and on RSVP-TE extensions to support PCE WG
          identified requirements.

        - With the IDR WG on the use of BGP-LS in TE environments.

        - With the DetNet WG on mechanisms (YANG models and
          protocols) to support DetNets.

        - With the SPRING WG on TE architecture and, where
          appropriate, TE-related protocol extensions.

        - With the SFC WG on mechanisms (YANG models and protocols) to
          support SFCs

In doing this work, the WG will cooperate with external SDOs
(such as the ITU-T and the IEEE 802.1) as necessary.

Milestones:

  Dec 2018 - Revisit WG status (close if no milestones/deliverables)

  Apr 2019 - Submit metric recording to IESG for publication

  Apr 2019 - Submit TE LSP Yang Models to IESG for publication

  Sep 2019 - Submit RSVP(-TE) Yang Models to (base and MPLS) IESG for
  publication

  Oct 2019 - Submit SR&L3 TE Topology Yang Models to IESG for publication

  Nov 2019 - Submit TE Yang Models informational document to IESG for
  publication

  Nov 2019 - Submit PCECC and Native IP documents to IESG for publication

  Dec 2019 - Submit ACTN YANG Models to IESG for publication

  Dec 2019 - Submit RMR specific RSVP document(s) to IESG for publication

  Jan 2020 - Submit SF Aware TE Topology YANG Model to IESG for publication