Subject: [Teep] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-teep-00-05: (with COMMENT)

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2018 01:12:38 -0800

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-teep-00-05: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-teep/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

No objection to the charter, but we should clarify two points.

1. I scratched my head: What does an "application layer protocol" mean in this context?

This working group aims to develop an application layer protocol providing TEEs
with lifecycle management and security domain management for trusted
applications.

What would the difference with?
This working group aims to develop a management protocol providing TEEs
with lifecycle management and security domain management for trusted
applications.

Or even?
This working group aims to develop a protocol providing TEEs
with lifecycle management and security domain management for trusted
applications.

2.
Second, a solution
document that describes the above-described functionality that will be
developed.

A solution document? I believe it's too vague.
I understand you want to specify a new protocol. You should clarify and adapt the milestones.

Editorial:
- Confused by the comma in the following sentence:

For example, implementations of the TEE
concept have been developed by ARM, and Intel using the TrustZone and the SGX
technology, respectively.

Do you want to say?
For example, implementations of the TEE
concept have been developed by ARM and Intel, using the TrustZone and the SGX
technology, respectively.

Or maybe better?
For example, implementations of the TEE
concept have been developed by ARM using the TrustZone and by Intel using the SGX
technology.

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 09:59:54 -0500

Hi Benoit,

Thank you for your comments.  I'd like the chairs to chime in on the
application layer protocol to see if they are okay with either of your
suggestions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-teep/

The last makes it more general, so I am sure this one is fine, but iuf
there is a reason to keep application in there, I want to give the
chairs a chance to respond.

> I understand you want to specify a new protocol. You should clarify and adapt the milestones.

I modified the sentence as follows:
Second, a solution document that includes the above-described
functionality in a protocol will be developed.

Does that help?  Thanks for pointing out this issue.
> concept have been developed by ARM using the TrustZone and by Intel using the SGX
Thanks, I've updated using the first suggestion.

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 15:53:05 +0000

Below with [DT]

> This working group aims to develop an application layer protocol 
> providing TEEs with lifecycle management and security domain 
> management for trusted applications.
>
> This working group aims to develop a management protocol providing 
> TEEs with lifecycle management and security domain management for 
> trusted applications.
>
> Or even?
> This working group aims to develop a protocol providing TEEs with 
> lifecycle management and security domain management for trusted 
> applications.

The last makes it more general, so I am sure this one is fine, but iuf there is a reason to keep application in there, I want to give the chairs a chance to respond.

[DT] Agree the last one is fine.

I modified the sentence as follows:
Second, a solution document that includes the above-described functionality in a protocol will be developed.

[DT] Fine.

> For example, implementations of the TEE concept have been developed by 
> ARM, and Intel using the TrustZone and the SGX technology, 
> respectively.
>
> Do you want to say?
> For example, implementations of the TEE concept have been developed by 
> ARM and Intel, using the TrustZone and the SGX technology, 
> respectively.
>
> Or maybe better?
> For example, implementations of the TEE concept have been developed by 
> ARM using the TrustZone and by Intel using the SGX technology.
>

[DT] Fine.

Dave

---

From: Kathleen Moriarty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2018 11:02:03 -0500

Thanks Dave and Benoit, updates have been made in the current revision
and the charter was approved on the call in the last minute.

Best regards,
Kathleen

-- 

Best regards,
Kathleen