Subject: TE Measurement - v03 comments

From: Merike Kaeo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 08:17:48 -0800

Here are the comments I had and promised to forward to this group regarding 
the TE Measurements document:

- there are many sections where I felt there should be clarification on 
whether active or passive measurements were being discussed....and if both, 
then point out any different considerations for each (or state there should 
be same consideration).  I have notes on this for sections 7 (Read Out 
Periods), 8 (Measurement Basis), 8.2 and 8.3

- the document makes references to both IPPM and ITU documents and 
sometimes notes that there are differences (like long-term averages for 
packet loss).  It would be useful to know where the differences apply

- overall I felt the document had much useful information but it needed 
applicability......draw some concrete conclusions.  It is written in the 
intro that "A major goal is to provide guidance for establishing 
protocol-independent and platform-neutral traffic measurement standards to 
achieve multi-vendor inter- operability".  I thought that most of the 
information was there but I wasn't clear at the end of the document what to 
do with all the measurement parameters listed and felt there was still much 
room for ambiguous measurements.

- merike

---

From: "Dr. Richard W. Tibbs" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 15:43:26 -0500

Thanks for your comments, Merike.  
This is very helpful.

Dr. Richard W. Tibbs

Merike Kaeo wrote:

> Here are the comments I had and promised to forward to this group 
> regarding the TE Measurements document:
>
> - there are many sections where I felt there should be clarification 
> on whether active or passive measurements were being discussed....and 
> if both, then point out any different considerations for each (or 
> state there should be same consideration).  I have notes on this for 
> sections 7 (Read Out Periods), 8 (Measurement Basis), 8.2 and 8.3
>
> sometimes notes that there are differences (like long-term averages 
> for packet loss).  It would be useful to know where the differences apply
>
> - overall I felt the document had much useful information but it 
> needed applicability......draw some concrete conclusions.  It is 
> written in the intro that "A major goal is to provide guidance for 
> establishing protocol-independent and platform-neutral traffic 
> measurement standards to achieve multi-vendor inter- operability".  I 
> thought that most of the information was there but I wasn't clear at 
> the end of the document what to do with all the measurement parameters 
> listed and felt there was still much room for ambiguous measurements.
>
> - merike
>
>
>