Subject: [TICTOC] TICTOC scope: Public Internet or Provider scope

From: "Ron Cohen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:03:31 +0200

Hi,

I have concerns regarding the scope of work and charter proposed for
TICTOC. 

I'm in the opinion that TICTOC should focus its effort on timing
distribution within a single provider administrated network. Once
successful, TICTOC may need to address the multi-provider or
multi-administrator network case. I do not believe that TICTOC need to
address the public Internet scope at all.

The model I have in mind is PWE3 that focused initially on a single
provider as a first step and moved to multi-hop solutions as a second
step only. A focused scope is key to the success of the working group in
building the right solution in reasonable time.

I believe that NTP handles well the public internet timing distribution
and there is no strong enough need to address the public internet timing
distribution in TICTOC.

In my opinion the problem scope should be: A provider has timing
information within its core. Provider edge devices connected over PSN
require timing information. Timing distribution is intra-provider from
its core to its edges.

I raise this concern following the TICTOC module draft by Yaakov, Karen
and Stewart which states:

   "The TICTOC architecture will be commensurate with the public
   Internet, and the timing distribution protocol chosen will be able to
   function over general packet switched networks."

Opinions appreciated,

Best,
Ron

Ron Cohen
Resolute Networks

_______________________________________________
TICTOC mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tictoc

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 07:28:06 -0700

Hi Ron,

I support you in this position. This is a very large and complex task to
identify all the elements and gain consensus. I agree we should not try and
eat the entire Elephant in one bite. I would also encourage the group to
consider the establishment early in the process of the notion of network
performance profiles that relate to specific service type delivery. This
could be used to create a quasi class of service definition on a network
and path basis.

Regards,

Patrick Diamond

             "Ron Cohen"                                                   
             <ronc@resolutenet                                             
             works.com>                                                 To 
                                       <[email-masked]>                   
             10/25/2007 07:05                                           cc 
             AM                                                            
                                                                   Subject 
                                       [TICTOC] TICTOC scope: Public       
                                       Internet or Provider scope          

                                                                           

Hi,

Opinions appreciated,

Best,
Ron

Ron Cohen
Resolute Networks