Subject: [TICTOC] Memory for per-client state on server

From: Hal Murray <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 03:45:04 -0700

[email-masked] said:
> Yes, this is true. But the capabilities of NTP to keep track of the states
> are very limited. Our NTP servers with the most current NTPD are only able
> to store about 12000 records, in which the oldest records are about 10 to
> 60 seconds old. They even cannot guarantee to memorize the state of a
> client when it is in iburst mode. Perhaps the implementation can be
> adjusted to allow for even more state information. ...

Please check the mru configuration option.  It's in html/miscopt.html

Ignoring NTS, I'd like to know if you run out of memory before you can keep 
track of all your clients.

I'm not trying to fight stateless approaches, but I'm not sure we should 
discard a suggestion because it requires state.
 
Let's play with the back of an envelope.  Suppose we allocate a gigabyte for 
holding state and each client needs 1000 bytes.  That's a million clients.

-- 
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

---

From: Dieter Sibold <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 12:07:16 +0100

Hello Hal,

thanks for the suggestion. I’m going to check this.
Dieter

> Am 24.03.2016 um 11:45 schrieb Hal Murray <[email-masked]>:
> 
>