Subject: [TICTOC] Last Call: <draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-05.txt> (Multi-Path Time Synchronization) to Experimental RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 06:23:08 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Timing over IP Connection and
Transfer of Clock WG (tictoc) to consider the following document:
- 'Multi-Path Time Synchronization'
  <draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization-05.txt> as Experimental
RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2016-09-28. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   Clock synchronization protocols are very widely used in IP-based
   networks. The Network Time Protocol (NTP) has been commonly deployed
   for many years, and the last few years have seen an increasingly
   rapid deployment of the Precision Time Protocol (PTP). As time-
   sensitive applications evolve, clock accuracy requirements are
   becoming increasingly stringent, requiring the time synchronization
   protocols to provide high accuracy. Slave Diversity is a recently
   introduced approach, where the master and slave clocks (also known as
   server and client) are connected through multiple network paths, and
   the slave combines the information received through all paths to
   obtain a higher clock accuracy compared to the conventional one-path
   approach.  This document describes a multi-path approach to PTP and
   NTP over IP networks, allowing the protocols to run concurrently over
   multiple communication paths between the master and slave clocks. The
   multi-path approach can significantly contribute to clock accuracy,
   security and fault tolerance. The Multi-Path Precision Time Protocol
   (MPPTP) and Multi-Path Network Time Protocol (MPNTP) define an
   additional layer that extends the existing PTP and NTP without the
   need to modify these protocols. MPPTP and MPNTP also allow backward
   compatibility with nodes that do not support the multi-path
   extension.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tictoc-multi-path-synchronization/ballot/

The following IPR Declarations may be related to this I-D:

   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2152/
   https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/2151/