Subject: [ietf-tls] AES for TLS (draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-03.txt)

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:59:00 -0400

I recently reviewed draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-03.txt.  The S/MIME WG 
(which I chair) is going through a similar exercise.  S/MIME is on track to 
mandate the use of RSA-OAEP (RFC 2347) with AES.  This approach provides 
improved protection against Bleichenbacher's Million Message Attack.

I have spoken at the SAAG to encourage a common set of algorithms and modes 
throughout the IETF Security Area.  I realize that such a lofty goal cannot 
be archived overnight, but I do believe that we can make steady incremental 
improvement.  Here is one opportunity.  I urge the TLS WG to the use of 
RSA-OAEP with AES.

Thanks for listening,
    Russ 

---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: "Andreas Sterbenz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 01:19:12 +0200

I agree that OAEP is the way to go, but I would suggest that TLS 1.1 simply
switches to OAEP for all ciphersuites using RSA key exchange. This seems
preferable to making standard ciphersuites using different RSA padding modes
for a given version of TLS. Since the current TLS spec already describes a
workaround for the Bleichenbacher attack I do not see a pressing time limit
for using OAEP.

 Andreas Sterbenz              mailto:[email-masked]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF Transport Layer Security WG" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2001 7:59 PM
Subject: [ietf-tls] AES for TLS (draft-ietf-tls-ciphersuite-03.txt)

---

---

From: "Housley, Russ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 16:31:17 -0400

I have no problem with support for RSA-OAEP with all symmetric ciphers.  As 
I said, I am pushing for a common algorithm set across the IETF Security 
Area.  RSA-OAEP with AES seems like a very nice start.

Russ

At 01:19 AM 5/11/2001 +0200, Andreas Sterbenz wrote:
>You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
>To unsubscribe send a blank email to 
>[email-masked]

---