Subject: [ietf-tls] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 06:59:20 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Addition of the Camellia Encryption Algorithm to TLS
	Author(s)	: S. Moriai
	Filename	: draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt
	Pages		: 4
	Date		: 30-May-01
	
This document proposes the addition of new cipher suites to the TLS
protocol 1.0 to support the Camellia encryption algorithm as a bulk
cipher algorithm.  Please send comments on this document to the TLS
mailing list

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
---
You are currently subscribed to ietf-tls as: [email-masked]
To unsubscribe send a blank email to [email-masked]

---

From: Shiho MORIAI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 11:25:22 JST

David, Thank you for your comments.

>We don't believe that proprietary algorithms should be added to the TLS
>standard.

I agree with you on that point. So we have decided to grant royalty-free
licenses for the essential patents of Camellia.

Camellia is being extensively scrutinized as well as AES. For example,
it is being reviewed in the NESSIE project
(http://cryptonessie.org). Camellia is also relatively efficient to
implement, even for small systems (We have compared its performance to
the results in Report on the Development of the Advanced Encryption
Standard (AES) James Nechvatal, Elaine Barker, Lawrence Bassham,
William Burr, Morris Dworkin, James Foti, Edward Roback Computer
Security Division Information Technology Laboratory National Institute
of Standards and Technology Technology Administration U.S. Department
of Commerce Publication Date: October 2, 2000), and will be widely
available in both hardware and software implementations. Camellia is a
candidate of the cryptographic techniques to be used in the electronic
government system of Japan, and we NEED TLS to support Camellia soon.

Our proposal also gives a new option, an efficient 128-bit block
cipher that is royalty-free!  Since the only such cipher currently
available is AES, our actions with regard to Camellia should be well
received. I hope our proposal will be accepted in TLS 1.1.

Shiho

--------------------------------------------
Shiho Moriai
NTT Laboratories  
Information Security Project
1-1 Hikarinooka, Yokosuka, 239-0847, Japan    
--------------------------------------------

>Subject: [ietf-tls] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-tls-camellia-01.txt
>From: David Blaker <[email-masked]>
>Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:59:20 -0400
>
>We don't believe that proprietary algorithms should be added to the TLS
>standard. AES with 128 and 256 bit keys should be more than sufficient. AES
>has been extensively scrutinized, is relatively efficient to implement, even
>for small systems (see Report on the Development of the Advanced Encryption
>Standard (AES) James Nechvatal, Elaine Barker, Lawrence Bassham, William
>Burr, Morris Dworkin, James Foti, Edward Roback Computer Security Division
>Information Technology Laboratory National Institute of Standards and
>Technology Technology Administration U.S. Department of Commerce Publication
>Date: October 2, 2000), and will be widely available in both hardware and
>software implementations. This position would also be consistent with the
>IPSec WG.
>_________________________________________
>David Blaker, CTO
>NetOctave, Inc.
>P.O. Box 14824
>Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
>Phone (919) 463-9903 x.206 / Fax (919) 463-9905
>email mailto:[email-masked]
>website http://www.netoctave.com

---

---

From: Hironobu SUZUKI <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:16:30 +0900

> We don't believe that proprietary algorithms should be added to the
> TLS standard. 

Camellia has the royalty-free licenses for the essential patents of
Camellia. So, I can write and distribute the Camellia codes with GNU
Public License.

Because English language is not my mother tongue, actually I don't
know good English expression but it wouldn't be called "proprietary
algorithms".

> AES with 128 and 256 bit keys should be more than sufficient. 

I don't think so. In the next generation of TLS, old-TLS's all
block-ciphers should be replaced AES style block-ciphers, 128bit block
/ 128, 192, 256bit key length

AES, I mean Rijndael, is a pretty good.  But I need another(or more)
strong cipher(s) as backup algorithms or use's choice (because I'm a
security paranoia!).  I have been thinking that Camellia is a good
choice to use TLS.

-- 
Hironobu SUZUKI        Independent Software Consultant
E-Mail: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.pp.iij4u.or.jp/~h2np/

---