Subject: [TLS] RFC 4346 - TLS 1.2

From: Bob Relyea <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 11:28:46 -0700

The TLS 1.2 spec attempts to define more flexibility in the choice of 
hashing, and does fix a number of problems in 1.1 when wanting to use 
hash functions other than SHA-1 and MD5, however there appears to be 
wording left over from the 1.1 spec that seems to contradict this goal. 
Shouldn't this wording be removed or changes, or was it left in 
intentionally:

Section 5 ... second paragraph:

HMAC can be used with a variety of different hash algorithms. TLS
uses it in the handshake with two different algorithms: MD5 and
SHA-1, denoting these as HMAC_MD5(secret, data) and HMAC_SHA(secret,
data). Additional hash algorithms can be defined by cipher suites and
used to protect record data, but MD5 and SHA-1 are hard coded into
the description of the handshaking for this version of the protocol.

Shouldn't the 'hard coded' wording be removed, or does TLS 1.2 initially
expect to continue to use MD5
and SHA-1 for the handshaking?

Thanks,

bob

_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 11:33:28 -0700

Bob Relyea <[email-masked]> writes:

> wording left over from the 1.1 spec that seems to contradict this
> goal. Shouldn't this wording be removed or changes, or was it left in
> intentionally:

It's a bug.

-Ekr