Subject: [TLS] Last look at TLS 1.2

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:28:08 +0200

<wg chair hat on>

Eric has posted version -09 of TLS 1.2 spec, which should be 
available in the draft repository shortly. Meanwhile, a temporary 
copy is available from here:

https://svn.resiprocate.org/rep/ietf-drafts/ekr/tls/tls.txt

You're encouraged to take a look at the changes, and check
that nothing was broken or missed.

We intend to send this to Tim for AD evaluation early next
week, but if you don't have time to check this now, the IETF
last call will provide one more opportunity to comment.

Best regards,
Pasi
_______________________________________________
TLS mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:34:33 +0200

Three nits from my personal review:

Section 4.7: the example at the end of section isn't any more 
fully correct with the changed definition of digitally-signed 
(since the "digitally-signed" construct now includes the hashing 
step). Suggested rephrasing:

   In the following example

      stream-ciphered struct {
          uint8 field1;
          uint8 field2;
          digitally-signed struct { 
             opaque field3<0..255>;
             uint16 field4;
          };
      } UserType;

   the contents of the inner struct (field3 and field4) are used 
   as input for the signature/hash algorithm, and then the entire
   structure is encrypted with a stream cipher. [...]

7.4.3/A.4.2, ServerKeyExchange definition: the second "case dhe_dss"
should be "case dh_dss".

7.4.3 and A.4.2, KeyExchangeAlgorithm lists dh_anon twice

Also couple of typos (could be fixed later, too):

7.4.3/A.4.2: extra blank lines in definition of ServerKeyExchange.
A.4.2: should delete descriptions of dh_p/dh_g/dh_Ys, since
  the appendix is supposed to contain only the struct definitions
7.4.7/A.4.3, weird indentation (and extra blank lines) in definition
  of ClientKeyExchange.
4.6.1, the example struct has weird indentation around the 
  orange/banana cases.
4.7, "pplus" -> "plus"
7.4.7.1, "premaster_secert" -> "premaster_secret"
References: [IDEA] is not cited anywhere, can be removed 

Best regards,
Pasi

---

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2008 07:58:55 -0800

OK, I've now fixed this stuff in my local copy. I propose we wait
and see if anyone else has anything by like Monday and otherwise
I'll roll -10 and we can submit to Tim. WFY?

-Ekr

> step). Suggested rephrasing:

Well, you could double hash, but i take your point.

> 7.4.3/A.4.2, ServerKeyExchange definition: the second "case dhe_dss"

Fixed.

> 7.4.3 and A.4.2, KeyExchangeAlgorithm lists dh_anon twice

Doh! I added those cause I thought I had missed them and
my eyes have gone numb.

> 7.4.3/A.4.2: extra blank lines in definition of ServerKeyExchange.

You mean:

    };

} ServerKeyExchange;

Fixed.

>   the appendix is supposed to contain only the struct definitions

Agreed. I'm finding it a real pain to keep these harmonized.
Next time I do one of these I'm going to have some auto-appendicizer :)

> 7.4.7/A.4.3, weird indentation (and extra blank lines) in definition
The extra blank line was intentional for readability, but now that
you seay it, sure.

> 4.6.1, the example struct has weird indentation around the 
These are fixed.

> References: [IDEA] is not cited anywhere, can be removed 

Fixed.