Subject: Re: [TLS] Protocol Action: 'Transport Layer Security (TLS) Renegotiation Indication Extension' to Proposed Standard

From: Brad Wetmore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 18:55:40 -0800

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> Still there are no guarantees that technical changes cannot happen
> even after this point (due to appeals, major flaws discovered during
> AUTH48, or something else), so a conservative vendor may be better off
> waiting until the RFC has been published.

Ignoring any appeals/changes/flaws for a second and considering just the
best case scenario here...

In looking over the RFC-editor's queue, I note we're close to the
bottom.  The RFC-editor is saying they process things roughly FIFO, and
I notice many things in the IETF stream standard track are in states
EDIT/RFC-EDITOR/AUTH48) from Jan/May/Sept/Nov 2009.  Is this going to be
several more weeks/months before this RFC is finalized, or are we
getting this expedited?

Thanks,

Brad

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:40:29 -0800

>several more weeks/months before this RFC is finalized, or are we

Nothing is definitive. It is "likely" that there will be no technical changes between now and when the RFC is issued and therefore deployment can begin now. If there is a successful appeal, it could change, but those are rare. If the authors find technical mistakes, they can fix them before RFC publication, and this is becoming more common in the IETF (a situation that many of us find quite unfortunate).

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 09:50:57 +0100

Brad Wetmore wrote:

> Ignoring any appeals/changes/flaws for a second and considering just
> the best case scenario here...
> 
> bottom.  The RFC-editor is saying they process things roughly FIFO,
> and I notice many things in the IETF stream standard track are in
> states EDIT/RFC-EDITOR/AUTH48) from Jan/May/Sept/Nov 2009.  Is this
> going to be several more weeks/months before this RFC is finalized,
> or are we getting this expedited?

Most of the old documents in the queue (the oldest is from 2003!) are
not actively being processed by the RFC editor; rather, they're
waiting for something (e.g., some other document to finish, author to
reply to emails, etc.).

But ignoring the possibility of appeals/flaws, the contents are
finalized now, and IANA has already assigned the numbers:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-parameters/
http://www.iana.org/assignments/tls-extensiontype-values/

Best regards,
Pasi