Subject: [TLS] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC5246 (2865)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 02:19:57 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC5246,
"The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=5246&eid=2865

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Alfredo Pironti <[email-masked]>

Section: 7.4.4

Original Text
-------------
struct {
    ClientCertificateType certificate_types<1..2^8-1>;
    SignatureAndHashAlgorithm
      supported_signature_algorithms<2^16-1>;
    DistinguishedName certificate_authorities<0..2^16-1>;
} CertificateRequest;

Corrected Text
--------------
struct {
    ClientCertificateType certificate_types<1..2^8-1>;
    SignatureAndHashAlgorithm
      supported_signature_algorithms<2..2^16-2>;
    DistinguishedName certificate_authorities<0..2^16-1>;
} CertificateRequest;

Notes
-----
The supported_signature_algorithms field is a variable length array. As such ceiling and floor should be specified, and they should be multiple of the base type (which is two bytes long in this case). See section 7.4.1.4.1 for a valid definition of this field.

Instructions:
-------------
This errata is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party (IESG)
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC5246 (draft-ietf-tls-rfc4346-bis-10)
--------------------------------------
Title               : The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2
Publication Date    : August 2008
Author(s)           : T. Dierks, E. Rescorla
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Transport Layer Security
Area                : Security
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG