Subject: [TLS] Fwd: New Non-WG Mailing List: Lurk -- Limited Use of Remote Keys

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2016 00:59:46 +0000

We discussed this topic briefly at IETF94 and in more detail
at the Marnew workshop. There seemed to be at least enough
interest for a list so...

Cheers,
S.

PS: I'd say best to wait 'till next Wednesday or so to start
list discussion so that folks have time to join the list.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: New Non-WG Mailing List: Lurk -- Limited Use of Remote Keys
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 16:54:44 -0800
From: IETF Secretariat <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
To: IETF Announcement List <[email-masked]>
CC: @ericsson.com, [email-masked], [email-masked]

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=lurk
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lurk

Purpose:

Communication protocols like IPsec, SSH or TLS provide means to
authenticate the remote peer. Authentication is based the proof of
ownership of a private key. Currently most trust models assume the
private key is associated and owned by the peer. In addition, the remote
peer is both responsible of the hosted content and for the network
delivery. Although these assumptions were largely true in the past,
today, the deployment of service on the current Internet largely relies
on multiple distributed instances of the service. Similarly, the
delivery of popular content often splits the roles of providing the
content and delivering the content. In such architectures, the
application, - like a web browser - expects to authenticate a content
provider while authenticating the node delivering the content. In this
case, the confusion mostly results from using a secure transport layer
to authenticate application layer content. There may be a BoF at IETF95
to discuss this topic.

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.