Subject: [TLS] Actions and issues from the IETF 95 TLS meeting

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2016 09:13:05 -0700

Below are some of the more significant issues discussed at the meeting in
Buenos Aires:

1. Adopt David Benjamin's signature and hash algorithm negotiation
structure that ties both together.   New code points to define signature
algorithm, curve and hash as a unit.

- PR incorporated into draft - https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/pull/404

2. Adopt Anti-Downgrade mechanism proposed by Green/Bhargavan.

- PR incorporated into draft - https://github.com/tlswg/tls13-spec/pull/284

3. Adopt a simplified NewSessionTicket Format.  The ticket format should
indicate if the server would accept ECDHE-PSK or PSK  and indicate if early
data is allowed or not.  The use of a bit mask was discussed in the
meeting.

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

4.  Adopt proposal to add back encrypted extensions for early data.
Encrypted extensions provide application identification (ALPN) and elapsed
timestamp.

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

5.  Adopt simplified more linear key separation derivation.

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

6.  Adopt proposal for demuxing handshake message from data messages.  New
handshake key is derived to encrypt post initial handshake messages.
Proposed solution is to wrap encrypted handshake message in encrypted data
message.  This is pending cryptographic evaluation.

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

7.  Adopt proposal to include OCSP stapling as part of certificate
messages.

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

8.  Adopt proposal to allow server to send known groups (Issue 415).

- PR to be discussed on the list when available.

9.  Park proposal to add receive generation field in the key update so
client knows it is safe to release keys  (PR 426)

- We do not have consensus to move forward with this PR