Subject: [TLS] Comments on TLS-ECJ-PAKE draft

From: Robert Cragie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 10:51:14 +0100

I would like to ask the working group for comments on the TLS-ECJ-PAKE
draft:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cragie-tls-ecjpake-00

Some brief notes:

* This intended status is informational.
* The draft is based on TLS/DTLS 1.2 as the Thread group required basis on
existing RFCs wherever possible. For that reason and due to the WGs focus
on TLS 1.3, I have understood from the chairs that it would not have
received a great deal of attention from the WG, hence the intended status
of informational.
* The draft reflects the current use of the TLS_ECJPAKE_WITH_AES_128_CCM_8
cipher suite in Thread (http://threadgroup.org/).
* There is an experimental implementation in mbed TLS (
https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbedtls)
* The Thread group would like to get IANA assignments for 4 cipher suite
values and one ExtensionType value as soon as possible.
* There are at least four independent implementations, which have been used
in interop. testing over the last 18 months.
* The security considerations recommend restriction of the use of this
cipher suite to Thread and similar applications and recommends it should
not be used with web browsers and servers (mainly due to the long
discussions regarding the use of PAKEs on this and other mailing lists).

Robert