Subject: Re: [TLS] Call for Adoption: draft-stebila-tls-hybrid-design

From: Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 19:36:14 -0800

The call for adoption has been completed. It's clear that the draft needs
work, but most of the comments were positive on adoption and there seems to
be energy to work on the document. The main concern raised during the call
for adoption if it is published before the NIST competition is finished
then the document may be incompatible with the results.   This risk is
mitigated in several ways:

   - The document is not specifying specific Post quantum techniques and is
   therefore not bound to any particular one that would conflict with a NIST
   winner
   - The working group is in control of when the document is published and
   can determine the appropriate time when the risk of incompatibility is low,
   which may be before or after the NIST Competition officially completes.

The chairs are moving forward with accepting the document as a working
group item without any additional constraints except that the document MUST
be evaluated for potential incompatibilities with NIST competition entries
before WGLC.

Thanks,

Chris, Joe, and Sean

On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 9:12 AM Joseph Salowey <[email-masked]> wrote:

> The authors of "Hybrid Key Exchange" have asked for adoption of their
> draft as a WG item.  Please state whether you support adoption of this
> draft as a WG item by posting a message to the TLS list by 2359 UTC 28
> February 2020.  Please include any additional information that is helpful
> in understanding your position.
>
> NOTE:
> If the draft is adopted, the working group has change control over the
> draft and the timing of its progression.  This means the document does not
> have to be perfect as the working group can and will make changes.
> Adopting the draft means the working group thinks the topic is a good idea
> and the draft is a good place to start the work.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris, Joe, and Sean
>
> [0] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stebila-tls-hybrid-design/
>
>
>

---

From: Stephen Farrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 09:43:02 +0000

Hiya,

> be evaluated for potential incompatibilities with NIST competition entries

That seems reasonable,
Thanks,
S.