Subject: [TLS] heads-up: ALPN ID allocation for NTP security with "Recommended" as "Y"

From: Benjamin Kaduk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 16:45:25 -0700

Hi all,

For purposes of increased visibility, I note that
draft-ietf-ntp-using-nts-for-ntp is making an ALPIN ID registration and
requesting to be marked as "Recommended" in the registry.  The
high-level summary of the NTS-KE protocol is to do a TLS handshake and
run a single request/response negotiation over it, using an exporter to
produce keys to be used to secure NTP traffic (over separate UDP
connections).

-Ben

---

From: "Martin Thomson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 11:08:53 +1100

> produce keys to be used to secure NTP traffic (over separate UDP

That sounds like a worthwhile use of a codepoint.

(Is TLS the de-facto owner of ALPN? There are some issues being discussed elsewhere that might affect future registrations.)

---

From: "Salz, Rich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2020 00:17:26 +0000

>    (Is TLS the de-facto owner of ALPN? There are some issues being discussed elsewhere that might affect future registrations.)
  
I believe the TLS designated experts think so :)

---

From: Ben Schwartz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2020 21:25:12 -0400

I note that the exporter has "DTLS-OK: Y", but DTLS is not otherwise
mentioned in the draft.  Is there an anticipated need for NTS-KE to use
DTLS?

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 8:17 PM Salz, Rich <rsalz=
[email-masked]> wrote:

> >    (Is TLS the de-facto owner of ALPN? There are some issues being
> discussed elsewhere that might affect future registrations.)
>
> _______________________________________________
> TLS mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/tls
>