Subject: [TLS] RFC 9155 on Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 Signature Hashes in TLS 1.2 and DTLS 1.2

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 09:22:52 -0800 (PST)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 9155

        Title:      Deprecating MD5 and SHA-1 Signature Hashes
                    in TLS 1.2 and DTLS 1.2 
        Author:     L. Velvindron,
                    K. Moriarty,
                    A. Ghedini
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       December 2021
        Mailbox:    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      5
        Updates:    RFC 5246

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-tls-md5-sha1-deprecate-09.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc9155

        DOI:        10.17487/RFC9155

The MD5 and SHA-1 hashing algorithms are increasingly vulnerable to
attack, and this document deprecates their use in TLS 1.2 and DTLS
1.2 digital signatures. However, this document does not deprecate
SHA-1 with Hashed Message Authentication Code (HMAC), as used in
record protection. This document updates RFC 5246.

This document is a product of the Transport Layer Security Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/retrieve/bulk

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC