Subject: Protocol Action: Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) HTTP Supplement to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 14:30:27 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Internet Open Trading
Protocol (IOTP) HTTP Supplement' <draft-ietf-trade-iotp-http-07.txt> as
a Proposed Standard.

In the same action, the IESG approved publication of HTTP MIME Type
Handler Detection <draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt> as an
Informational RFC.

These documents are the product of the Internet Open Trading Protocol
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Ned Freed and Patrik
Faltstrom.

Technical Summary
 
Internet Open Trading Protocol (IOTP) messages will be carried as XML
documents. As such, the goal of mapping to the transport layer is to
ensure that the underlying XML documents are carried successfully
between the various parties.

The document draft-ietf-trade-iotp-http-07.txt describes that mapping
for the Hyper Text Transport Protocol (HTTP), Versions 1.0 and 1.1
[RFCs 1945, 2616].

The document draft-ietf-trade-mime-detector-03.txt explains common
problems with the use of Accept header in HTTP for serverside discovery
of client capabilities, and describes what can be done (spring 2000)
using Java and other mechanisms to give client as good content as
possible.

Working Group Summary

There was consensus in the working group. The content type
application/iotp has been discussed on the ietf-types mailing list.

Protocol Quality

The documents were reviewed by Patrik Faltstrom.