Subject: Further revised draft new CHARTER

From: "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 23:37:21 -0500

My apologies for taking so long to get this out.  I have incorporarted
freedback from comments on the list to my previous draft new charter
and produced the following.  I have also adjusted dates and dropped
the specific date milestones for the IOTP V2 Specification.  The IOTP
V2 Requirement document still has milestones.  This is because of
comments that the Specification should be more modular and my feeling
that we will need to understand the requirements better before we can
schedule the specification document or documents.  Please post any
further comments as I'd like to replace our way out of date charter
very soon.

Thanks,
Donald

Applications Area Advisor: Patrik Faltstrom

Mailing Lists:
        General Discussion:[email-masked]
        To Subscribe: [email-masked]
        In Body: (un)subscribe
        Archive: http://www.eListX.com/archives/ietf-trade

The Internet Open Trading Protocol is an interoperable framework for
Internet commerce. It is optimized for the case where the buyer and
the merchant do not have a prior acquaintance and is payment system
independent. It can encapsulate and support payment systems such as
SET, Mondex, secure channel card payment, GeldKarte, etc. IOTP is able
to handle cases where such merchant roles as the shopping site, the
payment handler, the deliverer of goods or services, and the provider
of customer support are performed by different Internet sites.

The working group will document interoperability experience with IOTP
version 1 (which has been published as an Informational RFC) and
develop the requirements for IOTP version 2. Selection of items for
inclusion in version requirements 2 is to be from the following:

 - Separation of a content independent Messaging Layer
 - Dynamic Definition of Trading Sequences
 - Offer Request Block
 - Improved Problem Resolution (extend to cover presentation of
        signed receipt to customer support party, etc.)
 - Ability to indicate and handle a payment protocol not
	tunnelled through IOTP
 - Support for wallet servers
 - Repeated/ongoing payments - Server to Server messages
 - The ability to add both fields and attributes to trading blocks
 - Standardized XML Digital Signatures based on output from
        the XMLDSIG working group
 - Collaboration with other protocols such as ECML.

The following is out of scope for IOTP version 2:
 - legal or regulatory issues surrounding the implementation of
        the protocol or information systems using it.
 - design of an XML Messaging Layer

The working group will specify requirements for Digitally Represented
Rights Trading.

The working group will specify requirements for and then a syntax and
processing model of ECML (Electronic Commerce Modeling Language) V2.

Milestones

00 Nov  Internet Draft publication
        Secure Channel Credit/Debit

00 Nov  Working Group Last Call
        SET Supplement
        Architecture and Payment API

(December 2000 IETF Meeting)

00 Dec  Submit to IESG
        SET Supplement (Informational)
        Architecture and Payment API (Informational)

00 Dec  Internet Draft publication
        ECML V2.0 Requirements
	IOTP V2.0 Requirements

01 Jan  Submit to IESG
        Secure Channel Credit/Debit (Proposed Standard?)
        "Digital Rights" Trading Requirements (Informational)
	ECML V2.0 Requirements (Informational)

01 Jan  Internet Draft publication
        ECML V2.0 Specification

(March 2001 IETF Meeting)

01 Mar  Submit to IESG
        IOTP V2.0 Requirements (Informational)

01 Mar  Submit to IESG
        ECML V2.0 Specification (Proposed Standard)