Subject: [tram] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01.txt

From: Alan Johnston <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2014 17:55:56 -0500

All,

Tiru and I have made a start to the TURNbis draft.  We have submitted it as
an individual draft so the working group can decide if this is a reasonable
starting point for our chartered work item.

The -00 version is essentially unchanged from RFC 5766 to make it easy to
track the changes.  The -01 version represents our edits so far including a
number of Editor's Notes.

Feedback and comments are most welcome.

- Alan -

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01.txt
To: Tirumaleswar Reddy <[email-masked]>, Alan Johnston <
[email-masked]>, Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>, Jonathan
Rosenberg <[email-masked]>, Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Alan Johnston and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-johnston-tram-turnbis
Revision:       01
Title:          Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay Extensions
to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
Document date:  2014-08-10
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          69
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johnston-tram-turnbis/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01

Abstract:
   If a host is located behind a NAT, then in certain situations it can
   be impossible for that host to communicate directly with other hosts
   (peers).  In these situations, it is necessary for the host to use
   the services of an intermediate node that acts as a communication
   relay.  This specification defines a protocol, called TURN (Traversal
   Using Relays around NAT), that allows the host to control the
   operation of the relay and to exchange packets with its peers using
   the relay.  TURN differs from some other relay control protocols in
   that it allows a client to communicate with multiple peers using a
   single relay address.

   The TURN protocol was designed to be used as part of the ICE
   (Interactive Connectivity Establishment) approach to NAT traversal,
   though it also can be used without ICE.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat

---

From: Brandon Williams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 12:57:17 -0400

Thanks to both of you for taking on this task.

Regarding questions that you ask in editor's notes:

* I think it would nice to have a unified document for IPv4, IPv6, UDP, 
and TCP, and so merging RFC6062 and RFC6156 text into TURNbis would be 
good. In particular, the IPv6 is probably necessary to include if SSODA 
is to be included. That said, I don't feel strongly enough about it to 
put up any resistance if anyone else disagrees.

* I don't think a specific algorithm from RFC6056 needs to be 
recommended. The RFC itself provides a good discussion of the tradeoffs, 
but itself falls short of providing any recommendations. It might be 
worthwhile to note that some of the RFC6056 discussion re: NAPT applies 
to TURN allocations as well.

--Brandon

On 08/10/2014 06:55 PM, Alan Johnston wrote:
> All,
>
> Tiru and I have made a start to the TURNbis draft.  We have submitted it
> as an individual draft so the working group can decide if this is a
> reasonable starting point for our chartered work item.
>
> The -00 version is essentially unchanged from RFC 5766 to make it easy
> to track the changes.  The -01 version represents our edits so far
> including a number of Editor's Notes.
>
> From: ** <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>
> To: Tirumaleswar Reddy <[email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>>,
> Alan Johnston <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>, Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>, Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>, Philip Matthews <[email-masked]
> <mailto:[email-masked]>>
>
>
>
> Title:          Traversal Using Relays around NAT (TURN): Relay
> Extensions to Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN)
> URL: http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01.txt
> Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johnston-tram-turnbis/
> Diff: http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-johnston-tram-turnbis-01
>
> Abstract:
> until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org
> <http://tools.ietf.org>.
>
> The IETF Secretariat
>
>

-- 
Brandon Williams; Senior Principal Software Engineer
Emerging Products Engineering; Akamai Technologies Inc.