Subject: [tram] Protocol Action: 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Extension for Third Party Authorization' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz-16.txt)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 08:14:20 -0700

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'Session Traversal Utilities for NAT (STUN) Extension for Third Party
   Authorization'
  (draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz-16.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the TURN Revised and Modernized Working
Group.

The IESG contact persons are Spencer Dawkins and Martin Stiemerling.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tram-turn-third-party-authz/

Technical Summary

   This document proposes the use of OAuth to obtain and validate
   ephemeral tokens that can be used for Session Traversal Utilities
   for NAT (STUN) authentication.  The usage of ephemeral tokens
   ensure that access to a STUN server can be controlled even if the
   tokens are compromised.

Working Group Summary

   This document proposes the use of OAuth to obtain and validate
   ephemeral tokens that can be used for Session Traversal Utilities
   for NAT (STUN) authentication.  The usage of ephemeral tokens
   ensure that access to a STUN server can be controlled even if the
   tokens are compromised.

Document Quality

  There are implementations of this draft. For example, coturn, which
  is an open source implementation of TURN and STUN, includes this
  functionality.

  The IANA Considerations section registers two STUN attributes and
  seems to be consistent with the body of the document.

Personnel

  Gonzalo Camarillo is the document shepherd.
  Spencer Dawkins is the responsible Area director.