Subject: [tram] Updated IANA sections in STUNbis (RFC 8489)

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2019 06:56:06 -0800

I have been asked by Magnus to send the proposed changed to the IANA section to the WG and to Harald for review.  The full new content of the 3 sections are copied below:

"18.2.  STUN Methods Registry

    A STUN method is a hex number in the range 0x000 - 0xFFF.  The
    encoding of STUN method into a STUN message is described in
    Section 5.

    STUN methods in the range 0x000 - 0x7FF are assigned by IETF Review
    [RFC5226].  STUN methods in the range 0x800 - 0xFFF are assigned by
    Designated Expert [RFC5226].  The responsibility of the expert is to
    verify that the selected codepoint(s) are not in use and that the
    request is not for an abnormally large number of codepoints.
    Technical review of the extension itself is outside the scope of the
    designated expert responsibility.

    IANA has updated the name for method 0x002 as described below as well
    as updated the reference from RFC 5389 to RFC 8489 for the following
    STUN methods:

    0x000: Reserved
    0x001: Binding
    0x002: Reserved; was SharedSecret prior to [RFC5389]"

"18.3.  STUN Attributes Registry

    A STUN Attribute type is a hex number in the range 0x0000 - 0xFFFF.
    STUN attribute types in the range 0x0000 - 0x7FFF are considered
    comprehension-required; STUN attribute types in the range 0x8000 -
    0xFFFF are considered comprehension-optional.  A STUN agent handles
    unknown comprehension-required and comprehension-optional attributes
    differently.

    STUN Attribute types in the first half of the comprehension-required
    range (0x0000 - 0x3FFF) and in the first half of the comprehension-
    optional range (0x8000 - 0xBFFF) are assigned by IETF Review
    [RFC5226].  STUN Attribute types in the second half of the
    comprehension-required range (0x4000 - 0x7FFF) and in the second half
    of the comprehension-optional range (0xC000 - 0xFFFF) are assigned by
    Designated Expert [RFC5226].  The responsibility of the expert is to
    verify that the selected codepoint(s) are not in use, and that the
    request is not for an abnormally large number of codepoints.
    Technical review of the extension itself is outside the scope of the
    designated expert responsibility."

"18.4.  STUN Error Codes Registry

    A STUN error code is a number in the range 0 - 699.  STUN error codes
    are accompanied by a textual reason phrase in UTF-8 [RFC3629] that is
    intended only for human consumption and can be anything appropriate;
    this document proposes only suggested values.

    STUN error codes are consistent in codepoint assignments and
    semantics with SIP [RFC3261] and HTTP [RFC2616].

    New STUN error codes are assigned based on IETF Review [RFC5226].
    The specification must carefully consider how clients that do not
    understand this error code will process it before granting the
    request.  See the rules in Section 6.3.4.

   IANA has updated the reference from RFC 5389 to RFC 8489 for the
   error codes defined in Section 14.8.

   IANA has changed the name of the 401 error code from "Unauthorized"
   to "Unauthenticated"."

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin
Email: [email-masked]
Blog: https://marc.petit-huguenin.org
Profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/petithug

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 15:12:45 +0100

> I have been asked by Magnus to send the proposed changed to the IANA section to the WG and to Harald for review.  The full new content of the 3 sections are copied below:

Great to see this!

Nits:
- RFC 5226 is obsoleted by RFC 8226
- The term "Designated Expert" is now deprecated; please use "Expert
Review" (8226 section 4.5).

Those are the ones I found on reading. Also, there's one question below.
Apart from that, I'm happy.

>     designated expert responsibility."

Are there no attributes with an updated reference in this registry?

---

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 05:48:20 -0800

Hi Harald,

Thanks for the review, please find the new text below.  About your question about attributes with an updated reference, these are still listed in sections 18.3.1 (updated attributes) and 18.3.2 (new attributes).  The text in section 18.3 below in just added in front of these 2 sections.

    STUN methods in the range 0x000 - 0x7FF are assigned by IETF Review
    [RFC8226].  STUN methods in the range 0x800 - 0xFFF are assigned by
    Expert Review [RFC8226].  The responsibility of the expert is to
    verify that the selected codepoint(s) are not in use and that the
    request is not for an abnormally large number of codepoints.
    Technical review of the extension itself is outside the scope of the
    designated expert responsibility.

    0x000: Reserved
    0x001: Binding

    [RFC8226].  STUN Attribute types in the second half of the
    Expert Review [RFC8226].  The responsibility of the expert is to

    New STUN error codes are assigned based on IETF Review [RFC8226].
    The specification must carefully consider how clients that do not
    understand this error code will process it before granting the
    request.  See the rules in Section 6.3.4.

---

From: Harald Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2019 14:51:01 +0100

> Thanks for the review, please find the new text below.  About your question about attributes with an updated reference, these are still listed in sections 18.3.1 (updated attributes) and 18.3.2 (ne…

Looks good to me!

The "attributes updated" is what happens when reviewing diffs rather
than documents - I assume you'll get it back together in a good way.

Thanks for the update!

Harald