Subject: [rbridge] Time to summarize "forward or block" BPDU thread

From: petera at nortel.com (Peter Ashwood-Smith)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:50:11 -0400

> With forwarding, or sometimes forwarding based on 
> configuration (I'm not sure what people are
> proposing:
> 
> a) things will converge much more slowly
  
  Agreed. 
> 
> b) there are scary dependencies between bridge spanning tree 
> and RBridges algorithms

  Yeah no kidding. 

> c) no advantage as far as I can see. I don't know why we are 
> discussing this.

  Well there are still a few folks on this list that are not 
convinced of a) or b). There are probably 100 more on the list
that are just quietly listening that also don't understand.
We are very likely to encounter these opinions over and over 
again and the best approach is to discuss and counter them 
and capture it for future reference. Otherwise we are going 
to see these same arguments over and over again and used as
'reasons' why Rbridge is 'not as good as X or Y'.

  Peter

> Radia