Subject: [rbridge] Treating broadcast addresses

From: Vishwas at sinett.com (Vishwas Manral)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 03:49:36 -0700

Hi,

My question is more like, how would we build a spanning tree for
broadcast using IS-IS? 

We need a globally coordinated tree like STP and not like the way IS-IS
computes it. Would we require, changes to the spanning tree computation
itself?

Thanks,

Vishwas

________________________________

From: rbridge-bounces at postel.org [mailto:rbridge-bounces at postel.org] On
Behalf Of Vishwas Manral
Sent: Monday, October 17, 2005 11:41 AM
To: Developing a hybrid router/bridge.
Subject: [rbridge] Treating broadcast addresses

Hi,

I had a doubt about treatment of broadcast addresses.

Currently using STP we have one tree and ports are blocked/ forwarding,
so packets cannot loop irrespective of destination addresses. In IS-IS
protocol, we use ports based on destination address and no ports are
blocked or unblocked. But if the destination address is
FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF we could end in a forwarding loop. How would we get
over it?

Would we still allow broadcast destination address packets to be
forwarded? It is like preventing flooding loops in a case where we have
a global broadcast IP address, which is forwarded to all attached
routers. Am I missing the point all together?

Thanks,

Vishwas

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20051017/590afb28/attachment.html