Subject: [rbridge] Time to summarize "forward or block" BPDU thread

From: petera at nortel.com (Peter Ashwood-Smith)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:34:28 -0400

> My 2cents: if Rbridges scope is indeed a campus, then Radia's claims
> hold...there is no advantage in having Rbridges meddling with legacy
> stuff. Now, if Rbridges is intended to be applied to other 
> fields, e.g.,
> MAN scope, then yes, legacy is an issue.

  The protocols do not know how they are being applied. They are either
mathematically correct or not so I assume you are either talking about
scale or migration? 
 
> I do not see the second case happening particularly because there are
> other issues (besides the legacy interworking) that would require
> additional work in Rbridges. So I quite frankly do not see 
> the point in
> prolonging this discussion either. 

  The point in discussing these issues is to find answers to them in
this
forum before the same issues make their way into a much larger audience.
It is very hard to stop negative opinions or incorrect ones concerning 
technology once they reach a larger less informed audience.

  Peter