Subject: [rbridge] Treating broadcast addresses

From: Vishwas at sinett.com (Vishwas Manral)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 23:11:28 -0700

Hi,

I had a doubt about treatment of broadcast addresses.

Currently using STP we have one tree and ports are blocked/ forwarding,
so packets cannot loop irrespective of destination addresses. In IS-IS
protocol, we use ports based on destination address and no ports are
blocked or unblocked. But if the destination address is
FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF we could end in a forwarding loop. How would we get
over it?

Would we still allow broadcast destination address packets to be
forwarded? It is like preventing flooding loops in a case where we have
a global broadcast IP address, which is forwarded to all attached
routers. Am I missing the point all together?

Thanks,

Vishwas

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.postel.org/pipermail/rbridge/attachments/20051016/91b4e354/attachment-0001.html

---

From: saikat at seas.upenn.edu (Saikat Ray)
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 06:42:42 -0400 (EDT)

> FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF we could end in a forwarding loop. How would we get

Broadcast packets are sent over a spanning tree (not computed by the STP)
that spans the RBridges.