Subject: [rbridge] steps towards the problem and architecture documents

From: touch at ISI.EDU (Joe Touch)
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:10:16 -0700

Hi, all,

As promised, I've been working on the split of the existing rbridge
document into a set of more typical IETF-style documents:

	problem and applicability
	(this isn't even in the charter, butseems necessary IMO)
	(we can, if desired, merge it with the design/arch doc
	below to have a single doc if preferred)
		defining the problem
		describing the solution based on desired benefits
			(leaving architecture open)
		explaining cases where it is expected to be useful

	design (I would call this the architecture doc; is that OK?
	that matches more what we call it in the charter)
		defining terms
		defining the basic components of the proposed solution
		describing the operation based on functional behavior
			(leaving implementation particulars open)

	specification (some would call this a protocol doc;
	is that preferred?)
		describe the details of a particular instance of the
		architecture, including specific headers, fields, etc.
		and processing expected

		this document may also specify the routing protocol
		(setting CFT entries)
		or protocol used to exchange egress info (CTT entries)

Just so we know what belongs in which document before we all start.

Joe